Squier Master Series Chambered Tele HH...Any opinions on it?

Noise...

• Members

I saw one of these at a guitar shop today. Looked pretty nice, and I've been looking for a nice H/H mahogany guitar lately. So, what do you guys think of it? It's basically a top of the line Squier and fits what I'm looking for.

Any opinions on it?

Yes.. do a search.. I had one, they are JUNK, total firewood.

Ok, some of them are ok, but most have the bridge drilled incorrectly which makes them unplayable. For mine we had to pull the bridge, plug it, redrill the bridge holes. Seriously, its pot luck if you get a good one.

• Members

The search is still down. I tried searching this just a little bit ago.

So, has anyone else had this horrible bridge spacing problem? The one I was looking at looked like it was placed correctly. I didn't have a lot of time to play it, but just playing it unplugged it sounded fine. I didn't test the intonation on it, but I doubt it would have been off much.

And, for the people that don't have this bridge issue, how is the guitar? This one looked good and played nicely. Like I said, I didn't get a lot of time playing it, but for the couple minutes I did, it felt nice.

So, anyone else have an opinion on these?

• Members

I got one from Overstock.com. Mine intonated okay, but just barely. I've got about a half turn left on the G string saddle and not much more than that on the B. Other than the bridge placement "almost problem" I actually like it a lot. It weighs next to nothing but resonates really well. The pickups sound pretty good too. I paid $199 for it and that's about what it's worth IMO...I wouldn't pay more than that.

• Members

I got one from Overstock.com. Mine intonated okay, but just barely. I've got about a half turn left on the G string saddle and not much more than that on the B. Other than the bridge placement "almost problem" I actually like it a lot. It weighs next to nothing but resonates really well. The pickups sound pretty good too. I paid $199 for it and that's about what it's worth IMO...I wouldn't pay more than that.

Glad it worked out. Does the shorter scale bother you at all? How is the neck?

• Members

Glad it worked out. Does the shorter scale bother you at all? How is the neck?

Actually, I'm more of a Gibson guy anyway so I don't mind the short scale at all. Hell, with my stubby little fingers they can't make one too short for me!

Now that you mention it, I didn't notice the neck profile at all. That usually means it's a little on the thin side (my preference). I tend to get annoyed by fat baseball bat necks and that didn't happen with this axe. Next time i play it I'll try to pay more attention to the neck and report back...

• Members

^It's CRAZY light. Not even half of what my Strat weighs.

It's also lighter than my Washburn, which I *think* is around 7 lbs.

This thing has to be one of the lightest guitars I've picked up.

Anyone else want to comment on it before I log off for tonight?

• Members

^It's CRAZY light. Not even half of what my Strat weighs.

It's also lighter than my Washburn, which I *think* is around 7 lbs.

This thing has to be one of the lightest guitars I've picked up.

Anyone else want to comment on it before I log off for tonight?

Really? I'm sure it's light, but that would be real light. The strats are usually 7-9 lbs which would make the Tele featherweight. Hope it is that light.

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 1/19/2007 at 10:03 PM, Noise... said:

Bump...anyone else? I'm going back to the shop first thing tomorrow morning, so I need some info before then!

Ive has mine since they were released in 05. I’ve played many gigs with it. Super light and never had an issue at all with intonation. It’s a great sounding guitar to begin with. I had vitamin q capacitors put in and loved the sound even more. Then changed pickups to a 59 and a jb. With the chambered body it has some nice sustain and tone. At 24.75 it actually bigger than my prs. I like the shortness it makes bending so much easier. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I’ve had one for a decade. I bought it for a buck from a friend (you never just give a knife or an instrument……yah, superstition).  

The bridge was in the wrong position, and the stock bridge would not intonate. 

I thought very hard about either ditching it or moving the posts, but in my parts bin, I found a 70s Schaller harmonica bridge - it was designed for the 1970s Les Pauls with, umm, questionable intonation. It provided more than enough saddle adjustment to get it playing in tune, and it’s nice and heavy which adds to the sustain. 

I call it my “Les Tele” or “the telepaulster.”  It serves as my Gibson-scale two-humbucker guitar bc the ergonomics of a Les Paul are suboptimal in my opinion.   It’s pretty much indistinguishable from a Paul when playing live.  I keep meaning to replace the stock pickups with something with a little more clarity, but these work, and it’s not as though they don’t sound pretty good already. 

A friend has the Fender one with the carved arched maple top, and what’s funny is that mine demonstrably sounds better….this thing is a one-off, but it’s a good one-off.