HEPNOTIC

sex pistols guitar setup?

Originally posted by flamethrower

Everytime I listen to the album, I could swear I hear a phasor in the mix - on the guitar. Perhaps not on every track, but definitely on some of them.

There is (see my post above somewhere) - it's most prominent on "Liar." Don't know what the pedal is, though my DOD Phasor 250 reissue sounds right.

Originally posted by orourke

When the punk thing started in NYC with bands like The Ramones and Television the appeal was that it
didn't matter
weather you were a good player or not.

Jones and Cook played their own stuff on Bollocks. After Sid replaced Glen Matlock, Jones supposedly did bass duties on their recordings as well.

But as for what you say above, esp. regarding the band Television, they never fit into that "we can't play our instruments--we're punks!" thing at all. At least by the time they cut their first album Marquee Moon, they were writing real good songs with real good guitar work by Verlaine and Lloyd.

Originally posted by Edward

The story that kicked around for years was that Spedding - who produced the original demos - had added guitar, but even he himself has confirmed it was all Jonesy. Guess jonesy was just a better guitar player than a lot of folks want to accept!

I would say more of the stories came from the fact that Jones also played the bass parts cause Sid Vicious was a poser and couldn't play

The guitar was the white Les Paul. The amp was the Twin Reverb. The tracks were over-layered. Just watch Classic Albums - Never Mind The Bollocks or whatever name it is... The producer SHOWS the original tracks. There are at least three guitar tracks just for the rythm. Jones did play those tracks and the bass.

I have been able to nail the tone with a Boss Sd-1 and a Boss DS-1 together through a 68 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Also an MXR Phaser.

My Reverend Greg Koch Gristlemaster and Les Paul with 57’s do the job great.

Basically just a Twin, pushed by a LP Custom,,,, loud & bad!!  That entire crowd, Jones, Thunders, Waldo, & others use them with similar affect!