sex pistols guitar setup?

HEPNOTIC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by HEPNOTIC

i'd like to, i have a feeling he'd just say, "piss off, bloody wanker!"

man, i cant even imagine how many times hes been asked about his gear and technique. but then again, he may like that sorta thing.

- or "...fucking cunt" :D But do it anyway! And don't forget to report back and let us know what he says. While you're at it, why don't you link to this thread... :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a 96 gibby LP standard, with some dimarzio pickups (dont know the exact model) and a fender ultimate chorus. Ive turned down the gain to 6 and cranked up the presence and that seems to work better than cranking the gain up high. Mids and bass are at 7, treble at 6.

It sounds similar, but its still too flat in comparison. im thinking i'll need a tube amp or tube screamer to get more of a vintage analog tone. or maybe its just that I live in an apartment and i'd have to crank it loud to get the sound.

im actually going to be lookin at the epiphone valve jr today, so i can get a tube sound without having to crank it to 10 and piss off my neighbors.

That Epi would probably be ideal. Mind, I seem to have it nailed with the "Blackface 2x12"" patch on my Valvetronix, so.

• Members

Originally posted by paul44

Nah,Chris Spedding is said to have appeared on a couple of demos,but it was all pure Pistols according to Chris Thomas who produced it.

The story that kicked around for years was that Spedding - who produced the original demos - had added guitar, but even he himself has confirmed it was all Jonesy. Guess jonesy was just a better guitar player than a lot of folks want to accept!

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

.....Guess jonesy was just a better guitar player than a lot of folks want to accept!

Including Jonesy. In the Youtube vid, where he's playing the Burny. He still feels the need to retain his punk credentials by claiming he didn't really know how to play guitar. Obviously from the recordings the guy had a wicked rhythm hand and sweet vibrato. He may not have been Steve Howe, but Steve Jones new what he was doing.

When the punk thing started in NYC with bands like The Ramones and Television the appeal was that it didn't matter weather you were a good player or not. The Brits took it a pedantic step further and made it a rule that you weren't supposed to know how to play your instrument. So you had all these accomplished musicians like Sting and Joe Jackson trying to hide their chops. The whole thing was so dumb.

• Members

Man, I love this thread! New to the forum and I love the Sex Pistols. Never quite understood why people say they can't play, I think they're kick ass. Always loved that tone, kinda like 70's Kiss. Great info on this thread, programmed my br1600 based on info and got really great results. Thanks to all!!!!

Jack

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

When the punk thing started in NYC with bands like The Ramones and Television the appeal was that it
didn't matter
weather you were a good player or not. The Brits took it a pedantic step further and made it a rule that you weren't supposed to know how to play your instrument. So you had all these accomplished musicians like Sting and Joe Jackson trying to hide their chops. The whole thing was so dumb.

:D

I think a lot of guitar players that have absolutely no knowledge of music theory (but have great chops, and feel for their instrument) claim they don't "know" how to play since they're not following theory.

• Members

I'm no sex pistols fan, but I did read an interview with Jones a few years back. A lot of his early stuff was recorded with that white Les Paul and a Vox AC30 with a single speaker (the other had blown). He described it as having massive tone - "like a hoover".

Whether he was using this by the time 'bollox' was recorded or not I wouldn't know.

• Members

i'd like to, i have a feeling he'd just say, "piss off, bloody wanker!"

man, i cant even imagine how many times hes been asked about his gear and technique. but then again, he may like that sorta thing.

L.A. s mellowed the guy out a bit-you might be surprised. (even gets his hair cut in Beverly Hills, no less, by a friend of mine)

• Members

Originally posted by csm

The LP belonged to Sylvain Sylvain of The New York Dolls, who gave it to Malcolm McLaren to take to London for him so that Syl could come to the UK to join the band Malcolm promised to have ready for him. Instead, MMcL gave it to Steve and formed the Pistols.

It was actually Maclom's guitar. It was part of the equipment he purchased for the Dolls that he took with him when they imploded.

I doubt the amp was a Twin as a Twin and a Les Paul don't sound like a Sex Pistols record when cranked, unless he had a pedal of some sort. I suspect he had access to whatever house amps the studio had.

• Members

Originally posted by flamethrower

Everytime I listen to the album, I could swear I hear a phasor in the mix - on the guitar. Perhaps not on every track, but definitely on some of them.

theres definitely phaser in there.

and a distortion+.

• Members

Originally posted by mr maple

Never quite understood why people say they can't play, I think they're kick ass.

Totally! It sems bizzarre that people can like AC/DC but then diss the Sex pistols. its more or less the same kind of music.

Archived