Tremolo spring arrangement

Thri11_H0use

• Members

I usually use either 2 or 3 springs. With 2, I put the springs in the outer holes on the trem block, and on the 2nd and 4th hook on the claw. When I use 3 springs, I just add one right in the middle of both the block and the claw.

• Members

Some people still don't understand why people angle the outer two springs...

Remember Force Vectors in grade 9 math?

No. :o

I just do it that way because that's how they were when I bought my first trem-equipped guitar almost 10 years ago.

• Members

Your right i dont understand, but i would like to. I read the article, but still dont get it. Why is it better to angle the springs?

Its really the whole reason i started this thread. My Ibanez always had the springs arranged like #2, all 3 springs straight across. But i recently bought a jackson RR3, and it came with springs arranged like #1, the outter ones angled inward toward the claw. Im wondering if i should set the jackson like the ibanez, or the other way around.

• Members

This is not entirely the case when springs are involved. Ie. if all you do is move the spring from one hook to the next you are not only creating an additional perpendicular force vector, but you are also increasing the spring tension at the same time.

So moving the springs actually increases the tension on the springs/strings. This is because in the case of guitar trem springs the additional spring tension added by increasing the distance on the hypotenuse is greater than the decreasing resultant vector in the parallel plane. It would be a different story if the spring was already stretched to 10 times its original length, but guitar springs only need to stretch about 10 to 15% to maintain equilibrium (and the smaller the initial percentage delta, the greater the increase when stretching the spring).

The real benefit of this configuration is that you get a little extra tension for the same claw position. But, you also get some perpendicular tension that helps keep the springs and the trem from wobbling around (not that the trem wobbling is a concern on any decent trem design, but it helps a bit with spring vibration).

• Members

Like Armitage said, it has loads to do with force vectors. Part of the balancing forces are exerted against the block, so while the matching tension is the same, it feels like less tension. That's what we as guitarists care about. They're not that lazy that they can't turn in their claw. Give me a break.

• Members

Like Armitage said, it has loads to do with force vectors. Part of the balancing forces are exerted against the block, so while the matching tension is the same, it feels like less tension. That's what we as guitarists care about. They're not that lazy that they can't turn in their claw. Give me a break.

Very true. The 'triangle' configuration decreases the apparent spring constant in the parallel plane, making the spring feel a little more 'spongy' and less stiff for the same spring tension. This is great with Floyd Rose trems for tricks like flicking the bar! :thu:

• Members

OMG you fixed my guitar. My MIM strat has had a high E that didnt ring out as well as the other strings for more that 2 years, I tried raising the action, switching the saddles, to no avail, and all my guitar tech said was to get a heavier MIA strat trem system because the MIM didn't have a heavy enough block. I just put the trem in position 1 and now the high E string's fine. Much thanks to you.

Archived