What do you guys think of the Jackson SLSMG soloist?

stangme01

• Members

I can get one of these for dirt cheap, around $400 in near mint condition but they have the HZ pickups. I thought the pickups sucked and i would probably throw in some dimarzios, i think the nut needs changed, the tuners need changed etc. I'd probably change the electronics since the import jacksons are known for bad electronics. So i'm looking at $300 in upgrades to get it where i want it which would be like $700 total.

Just wondering what you guys though of these that have owned them or have experience with them? Seems like a cheap feeling guitar but it sounds awesome and plays awesome.

• Members

It's a nice axe. Yes, it does benefit from upgrades - so far I've swapped out the bridge pup for a JB, the neck is still the stock HZ but that will be changing soon. I may put in a new volume pot at some point (I removed the tone pot) but it's not causing me any grief right now so it's not high on my list. Tuners have been fine for me. I don't like the idea of the plastic nut and will put a bone one in at some point, but for all the difference it'll make it's not all that neccessary.

The neck is great, super thin and fast, great upper fet access, and the ebony board is real nice too. At first it does feel "cheap" because it's so light. But it's got a nice tone to it, and I've gotten used to the lightness and wonder why I've been so enamored with heavy guitars in the past - playing this thing is very comfortable even after prolonged sessions.

Even without upgrades it's a great bang for the buck, and with upgrades it'll be as good as a lot more expensive guitars.

• Members

I owned a slsmg one time and It's a nice guitar. i just thought the body was too thin and light. feels like it's made of plastic.

Wow that worries me when i see the guitars in your sig, i mean i don't know about the musicman i know their high ends are incredible in my hands, but the others are just what i consider "good" not "great"!

I hear so much great stuff about this guitar its hard not to buy it. Gonna leave and check it out again!

• Members

damn i went and played it today again, when i played it before my index finger on my fret hand had a slice down the center of my finger tip from a razor blade at work. Today with a good finger holy {censored} that thing smokes wow. I bought it on the spot, this may replace my hellraiser as my main axe. This thing is a steal for even the new price! wow, i would gladly pay retail for one of these! I liked it better than the esp i went in there to buy which was 3 times as much used. I love ebony fretboards its about time i had an axe with one. I'm really surprised at the amount of sustain, i figured it would be like an ibanez rg = no sustain but its just vibrates your hands forever.

Now i gotta figure out which pickups to put in it. I'm thinking dimarzio air zone bridge and air norton neck. The tuners actually aren't bad like i thought they would be. Gonna change out the plastic nut for graphite though.

• Members

I just bought a new one with the active 81 and 85 in it and it rocks. The guitar has a really great, well intonated tone to it when it isn't plugged up and when it is plugged up it screams. My only problem is that I feel the natural tonal quality is being destroyed by the 85 in the neck, and I plan to put an 89 in the spot with a coil tap to remedy that and maybe get some better cleans.

• Members

I just bought a new one with the active 81 and 85 in it and it rocks. The guitar has a really great, well intonated tone to it when it isn't plugged up and when it is plugged up it screams. My only problem is that I feel the natural tonal quality is being destroyed by the 85 in the neck, and I plan to put an 89 in the spot with a coil tap to remedy that and maybe get some better cleans.

Dude get a emg 60 or 60a, i've had the 60 and liked it WAY better than the 85 for cleans AND distortion. 60 is one of my favorite pickups! I don't see how anyone likes the 85 so much for the neck. I'm sure it sounds good in some guitars in the bridge but i haven't heard it sound good there before. I love the 81.

I was thinking of going with EMG actives, i'm gonna take my time and think it through before i decide on pickups

• Members

Dude get a emg 60 or 60a, i've had the 60 and liked it WAY better than the 85 for cleans AND distortion. 60 is one of my favorite pickups! I don't see how anyone likes the 85 so much for the neck. I'm sure it sounds good in some guitars in the bridge but i haven't heard it sound good there before. I love the 81.

I was thinking of going with EMG actives, i'm gonna take my time and think it through before i decide on pickups

Really? I seriously hate the 85 for all uses. The 81 is great, but the 85 is just flubtastic. I was gonna go 89 due to the coil tappable single coil sound that I heard was excellent, but I might have to check out the 60 series now. Which would you suggest, the 60 or 60a?

• Members

Meh took it back, i dunno, the hellraiser absolutely blows it away for tone. Although the hellraiser is just a monster so its not really fair, but i'd never pick this guitar up. The pickups REALLY suck, and the neck just feels too much like my old LTD ec-1000 neck, almost exactly the same after i played it a few times. I much prefer the ESP mirage and schecter c-1 type necks which are slightly round and not as wide. I don't think me and Jacksons mix, or really ibanez guitars either.

Think i need to stick to ESPs and schecters

Archived