211dave112

• Members
  • Members

I see a lot of auctions from this seller.... mainly for complete used guitars, which always seem expensive, and the headstocks are always obscured!

It seems crazy to me, but I don't know enough about the vintage market these days. Last time I really paid attention, a VGC pre CBS Fender was in the region of GBP3,000 for the complete guitar, so this seems OTT. Assuming, though, that the guitar was of a value relative to the price of this item, and assuming too that it was genuine, I'd wonder how much value it would really add.... I mean, the really big value in vintage instruments is originality, but presuming you can't have its own plate, and so you're automatically adding soemthing that wasn't there originally, what difference does it make to have a real 50s plate as opposed to one that is made now but is period correct in terms of materials, looks, etc?

I'd love to know how Leo Fender would feel about his utilitarian-by-design guitars selling at high art prices these days! I wonder is there something on record about that - after all, he lived til what, 1991?, so he'd have seen some years of vintage pricing at least....

• Members

Screw that. I've seen a few auctions like this lately, some guy wanting like three grand for a 50's tele p/up and such. The problem is there's no authentication, no definitive markings, serial numbers and such. I mean you can't even carbon date the damn things! With the proliferation of expert (and unexpert) relicing these days, I would have to regard all super expensive 'vintage' parts suspiciously.

• Members

It seems crazy to me, but I don't know enough about the vintage market these days. Last time I really paid attention, a VGC pre CBS Fender was in the region of GBP3,000 for the complete guitar, so this seems OTT.

You might wanna go outside sometime :o:(

If that were the case I'd go off to buy some now :cry:

• Members

You might wanna go outside sometime
:o:(

If that were the case I'd go off to buy some now
:cry:

Well, that said the last time I paid attention to the vintage market was about 1991...... quite frankly, the only time I even look at a vintage guitar these days is on my periodic wanders through Denmark Street - I look in the windows of Vintage and Rare and Andy's. I don't even bother looking at prices though - it's a given that no matter what they cost, even if i had it I'd not be prepared to spend it (unless it was a guranteed winner money wise as an investment - no interest in owning a "vintage guitar" as an instrument) when I could have somebody build me the same thing to my own spec for a lot less. Ain't no mojo in "vintage" as far as I'm concerned. Again, YMMV.

Archived