Need info on a Yamaha SC-600 electric guitar....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone have any info on a Yamaha SC-600 electric guitar? These were made in Japan in the early 80's. I've got a beat on one locally here in L.A. that's stunning. Seller is asking for $5XX. I just scoured the Web and couldn't find a lick of info. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

ArKay, many thanks for your information. I do appreciate it! I'll call Yamaha Corp. of America, just down the road in Orange County, tomorrow about some guitar info. I bought it tonight. This one was in excellent condition. Cool thin, lightweight case, too. Check out some pics. Best regards....Goofyfoot.

1-YamahaSC-600FrontOverall.jpg

5-YamahaSC-600FrontBody.jpg

6-YamahaSC-600FrontHeadstock.jpg

7-YamahaSC-600BackOverall.jpg

8-YamahaSC-600BackBody.jpg

9-YamahaSC-600BackHeadstock.jpg

3-YamahaSC-600FrontCase.jpg

• Members

Cool guitars. You dont see those models around alot. $500 is kind of steep.....but that includes what seems to be an original case for it which would be tough to find. In a few years the extra money you may have paid will be a non-issue. I have an 80's Yamaha SSC500. A dif' shape but has the same bridge. It's a super cool guitar. Stays in tune and plays great. Very pro. Just by looking at the pics, my guess is your SC600 will be just as sweet as my SSC500.

Guest Anonymous

Burning Leaves....Yeah, on the face of it the 500 bonz I paid for the SC-600 might appear somewhat steep. But that case did make a difference as to whether I was going to buy it or not. Another original case would be next to impossible to locate. I wasn't going to go out and try to find a hardshell that snugly fit the abstract-looking body contour. I got the seller to come down $50 because he was going to list it on Craigslist for $550. I really dig the neck-through-body construction. Sustain is quite sweet.

He also had a SSC-500 in a natural color (with gloss finish) for $450. The hardshell case (vintage rectangular shape a la Rickenbacker) was not in as good of a shape as the one for my SC-600. It had three of those cool, funky Bill Lawrence single-coil blade pickups. I played around with those three toggle switches for an hour but couldn't dial in. I guess it takes some getting use to, I suppose. Nevertheless, I could've been happy with the SSC-500 if the SC-600 wasn't also available. The SSC-500 had four noticeable dings, one on the upper horn and three on the bottom side of the lower bout. The SC-600 was extremely clean. All in all, it was one of those moments in life where everything sort of just came together. Efficacy!

Guest Anonymous

I had an SC-600 and sold it a few months ago on ebay. It brought $268, mint shape with case. I also planned to sell my SSC-500 but at the time they were only bringing around $150, and I decided it was too good to sell for anywhere near that.

HH....I sent you a PM. Regards....Goofyfoot.

• Members

Sweet. Ya the SSC-500 has alot of tonal options. The 3 switches and push tone pot gets like 13 last time I counted them. Has a good range from Fat to Glassy. They can be a noisey though. They are prone to picking up signals from tv's, neon and such.

The SGV800 is another model that I wouldnt mind getting. The pups on the SGV800 are suppose to nail that 60's Mosrite tone. I think (((ArKay))) has an SGV model...not sure what one though.

Good stuff:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Whats the bridge Aluminum? Reminds me of the old Hamer string-through sustain blocks.

Blues Man: E-mailed Yamaha HQ, just down the road in Orange County, today about the bridge. Will update this post when I find out probably this coming week (holiday weekend). Incidentally, five of us teachers threw on a jam at a party last weekend at a faculty party in the backyard of a home. My cohorts were fascinated by the neck-through-body design. The Yamaha SC-600 sounded cool through a Fender Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed tube amp. Regards....G-foot.

1-YamahaSC-600FrontOverall.jpg

4-YamahaSC-600FrontBody.jpg

8-YamahaSC-600BackBody.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Is the pickguard aftermarket?

It really detracts from a killer guitar,IMO.

Rand-Man: Point understood, point appreciated. It IS aftermarket. But that's alright. Since it is an early 80's guitar, the guard probably saved the bod from a ton of pick scratches. It still plays like butter and sounds cool ~ great find for a classroom guitar. Pickups are hotter when compared to stock American Fender series Strats and don't produce any hum. Thanks for the feedback. You made a keen observation ~ good eye. Regards....G-foot.

Archived