What kind of soldering iron should I get for guitar work?

zac503

• Members

I really wana start working on the electronics of my guitars and I'd like to pickup a decent but affordable soldering iron. I was wondering what the price range on them was, but I would like to keep it under around $30. Also I know they come in different watts and what not, just trying to probe what people find effective for guitar use.

Lemme know!

• Members

I use a 60watt Weller soldering "station". Thats about as many watts as I would go. Anything from 15-60 is fine.

BTW. The Weller is an older model (wtcpn) but "pro". I bet you could pick up a fine working one for cheap on e-bay. You can still get tips for them. Having a "station" is pretty cool becuase you have the sturdy base that holds everything.

• Members

I also have a weller and you really can't beat them. But if you are price conscious and need a good station for short money check out the GFS pickups website. www.guitarfetish.com they have similar ones that are not very expensive. Also, if you want to go really cheap, Radio shack has a 40 watt iron for around 15 bucks. I would not go less than 40 watts with these because there is no temp control and the lower wattage irons may not get hot enough to do things like soldering ground wires on the back of a pot.

• Members

40 watts is sufficient, but you have to wait for them to warm up, and then they are a bit hazardous to have around.

I like my gun type model with a trigger, it heats up in 10 seconds, and can be set on it's side, and is heavy enough not to slide around. It's not the best for fine work, but works ok for wiring guitars. Haven't seen them around, I got this one at Sears years ago, but they are worth a look.

Guitar Fetish had some more expensive models with temperature control and a base unit that looked interesting.

• Members

40 watts is sufficient, but you have to wait for them to warm up, and then they are a bit hazardous to have around.

I like my gun type model with a trigger, it heats up in 10 seconds, and can be set on it's side, and is heavy enough not to slide around. It's not the best for fine work, but works ok for wiring guitars. Haven't seen them around, I got this one at Sears years ago, but they are worth a look.

Guitar Fetish had some more expensive models with temperature control and a base unit that looked interesting.

I second the gun... I have a Weller 120 watt gun my father bought me back in the late 70's or early 80's... still use it almost every week.

I have tried 30 and 40 watt irons... they are OK for soldering two wires together, but for soldering to a mass of metal like a pot back or something I think a little more heat is actually better. You warm up the gun tip, get the solder ready and touch the tip, solder and get the heat away fast. With an inadequately hot iron, you may tend to hold the tip there for a long time waiting for the metal to get hot enough to melt the solder... meanwhile the damage is being done.

I just think too little heat is as bad as too much.... but I'd rather have a littlre more than not enough if that makes sense.

AJC

• Members

I just read how many of you guys are against the soldering guns....

Just want to add this... yes, with 120 or 140 watts of heat you can ruin stuff IF you arent carefull. But, I have never ruined a pot, or the thousands of electronic components I have soldered over the years (I took electronics throughout my high school years) but that may be due to knowing what I am doing...

I stilll think too little heat can be a big problem too though.

Maybe the best thing is to practice a little on some spare parts (old pots, etc) to get used to it.

AJC

• Members

I just read how many of you guys are against the soldering guns....

Just want to add this... yes, with 120 or 140 watts of heat you can ruin stuff IF you arent carefull. But, I have never ruined a pot, or the thousands of electronic components I have soldered over the years (I took electronics throughout my high school years) but that may be due to knowing what I am doing...

I stilll think too little heat can be a big problem too though.

Maybe the best thing is to practice a little on some spare parts (old pots, etc) to get used to it.

AJC

You reading the right thread? Who is against solder guns?

• Members

I think i'm gonna go with a weller gun, for around $40 total.

Im about to order this one in a second. Im wondering though, what the difference is between the 8200 and the 8200D.

One is 130V and the other is 230V but I dunno the difference.

You want the 120V gun, that's household current in the US.

• Members

I think i'm gonna go with a weller gun, for around $40 total.

Im about to order this one in a second. Im wondering though, what the difference is between the 8200 and the 8200D.

One is 130V and the other is 230V but I dunno the difference.

I have the 8200 model. Its a good gun. I wouldnt use it for guitar electronics though. One reason is because I have that Weller I mentioned. The other is because it is on the heavy side. That makes it not as comfortable as the "stick" but also...if you drop it on your guitar you stand a good chance..very good chance of denting it. (the guitar).

Thats my take on it. YMMV.

• 13 years later...

Archived