why does everyone say jimi hendrix was sloppy?

captain average

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you compare Lil Wing (Stevie and Jimi) I think Jimi's version is a little "looser" and I could see how some people might consider that to be sloppy. Stevie's delivery is cleaner and more precise feeling to me. I love both versions though. Jimi was the man. I still get awe struck everytime I watch his performance at the MPF. My uncle was there and said watching it on TV doesn't even compare.

• Members

I never say he was sloppy. The man had command of his ax. He played with some wild abandon, but I wouldn't call that sloppy.

The only negative criticism I ever toss Jimi's way, is that I'm not always enamored with his tone. Like SRV came along and covered a lot of Jimi's stuff and I like that SRV's tone was rounder and warmer. Strat into a Marshall vs Strat into Fenders - got sumptin to do wid dat.

• Members

Jimi was great player ,

Im sure every knows the story about Sgt. Peppers had just come out only like 3 days before , Jimi's gigging in England and Paul McCartney is in the audience and hendrix whips into Sgt. Peppers.

But that said Hendrix was a monster player , I wish he wouldve lived he would have been amazing to see what he would have come up with it

Sometimes loose but sloppy no

:thu:

• Members

The only thing I can think of is this inhaling your own vomit.

Inhaling one's own vomit is definitely sloppy.

Jimi's guitar playing sure wasn't, though.

Jimi's head was strapped back by the ambulance attendant - he aspirated on the way to the hospital. That's sloppy work for an ambulance attendant. Jimi was wacked on drugs - that's rock-n-roll. there's a difference! :rolleyes:

• Members

the first solo break in purple haze.

the solo break between verse 1 and verse 2 in all along the watchtower

I can kind of understand the purple haze, because that is a pretty unconventional solo. I'm not sure Jimi didn't intend each note to go exactly where it did, but it does seem to slip and slide around the timing a bit.

But not the watchtower solo, that's about as crisp and clean as it comes.

Maybe I'm not clear on your definition of sloppy.

In any event, if that's sloppy, I like sloppy. I prefer something that sounds real - even with a few "imperfections"

• Members

I'd LOVE to see one of the people who claim he was sloppy play. I'd bet that they would have nowhere near the energy, ability, or sheer control over the guitar that Jimi did. From the live performances I've seen or heard of him, he never missed a note. Maybe his all-time worst "offense" was his guitar going a little out of tune - Which could have been fixed pretty easily if he had lived long enough to get some better tuners.

The true fact is that he was one of the greatest guitarists ever. He's had more influence on music than anyone else I can think of. I don't think anyone here can disagree with that.

• Members

i have a couple ideas why people think Jimi was sloppy..

1 his guitar was upside down

2 he never cleaned up the charred remains of his strat after a dazzling performance of pyro.. he left it for some minimum wage earning stage hand to clean up.

Seriously, although I am not a huge Hendrix fan, his playing was phenomenal. I think if he had lived for another 4 or 5 years, that most of the music we listen to now would be a helluva lot different. His songwriting was way beyond what anybody else was doing at the time, and his thoughts and ideas about what music could create were unsurpassed by any of his contemporaies, and to this day I doubt theres anyone that can create the vibe that Jimi did by playing a guitar and singing a song.

JUst my .02 worth

• Members

A lot of the Hendrix-was-sloppy argument derives from some of the live recordings issued after his death, most of which almost certainly would not have been released if he'd still been alive and in control of what was issued under his name. Some of them were simply 'off nights' when he wasn't playing at his best.

And it's worth remembering that a lot of the facilities and technology we take for granted now didn't exist, or was still in its infancy, back in those days. There were no electronic tuners, for a start: you tuned up by hitting a note on a piano, or blowing on a harmonica or pitch pipe. Strings weren't as durable and reliable as they are now, either. And on-stage monitoring barely existed. PA systems were also notoriously un-singer-friendly, being routinely overwhelmed by the huge stacks most players used in bigger venues. Hendrix's unprecedented whammy abuse did horrible things to his strings and the trem systems of his Strats, plus he and his various rhythm sections couldn't all hear each other as well as modern bands routinely expect to hear each other. As for his vocals ... he had a naturally quiet voice and occasionally uncertain pitching, so the lack of proper monitoring affected him quite badly.

It wasn't until after Hendrix's death that the likes of Led Zep and the Grateful Dead pioneered the professionalisation of touring rock PA systems, upgrading them to the standards we expect today. There are many reasons for mourning Hendrix's premature death - and, incidentally, he died of an accidental overdose of sleeping pills rather than any abuse/misuse of recreational drugs - but one of them is that he wasn't around long enough for us to hear him with the kind of grown-up professional onstage sound which was commonplace by the mid-70s.

So: sloppy? Occasionally, on some nights which we'd never have heard if he'd survived to have full choice over which live tapes came out and which didn't. Thank the Lord that no-one on this board ever had an off-night live on stage, and that we'd all be happy to have any recording of any gig we'd ever played released and used as the basis for assessments of our ultimate worth as musicians.

• Members

i have a couple ideas why people think Jimi was sloppy..

1 his guitar was upside down

I play an upside down right handed strat (no not because I think I'm hendrix) theres no reason it would make him 'sloppy'.

Someone jokingly mentioned that he didn't tap. In one of the solos on the woodstock film (I think it's Spanish Castle Magic) he's doing an extended trill and just brushing his other finger against the fretboard...he comes SO close to inventing tapping. If only....

• Members

Malsteen? Thats a JOKE right? He would be JUST ANOTHER that was amazed at Hendrix's playing just like Clapton, Beck, Townshend, Page, McCarthy/Lennon, Richards, and everyone else that was around who thought they were so good at that time was. There was NO Measuring reference with him. No-one to compare him to. Thats how good he was. His Timing? he would speed up the time, or slow it down for feel and effect. We could sit here all night and minimize his ability. Talk {censored} about him? Mold him into mear mortal status? Its all been done before. But yet there's a reason why he's still considered the greatest guitarist that ever lived. And still shows up on mag covers..like...Rolling Stone, Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar! Simply put.....Because he was THAT GOOD! And the MAJORITY of US continue to put him their! Rightly so...Thats exactly where he belongs.

• Members

Compared to the standards of today, Jimi really was sloppy. Going out of tune is part of the reason, although you can't blame him for using contemporary technology, not the trems of the future. To take another example, listen to the intro to Who Knows from Band of Gypsies (live) - the haphazard way in which he turns up the volume: it's not really synced to the groove he's playing. Also, his sense of rhythm is generally kind of rough and unpolished, arguably just his style, compare with Steve Ray Vaughan who is perfection to me. Compared to contemporary standards, Jimi was the greatest guitarist thus far; the young EVH a close second.

• Members

Mostly it's about style: He had a lot of blues in his playing, and blues does have a certain sloppy feel to it IF you're used to non-blues genres with a strighter feel.

Also, some of the live recordings are a bit sloppy, great, but still: Listen to Johnny B Goode off of the Hendrix in the West (even better example Blue Suede Shoes), and tell me there isn't a bit of probably drug influenced slop going through the whole band

• Members

Compared to the standards of today, Jimi really was sloppy. Going out of tune is part of the reason, although you can't blame him for using contemporary technology, not the trems of the future. To take another example, listen to the intro to Who Knows from Band of Gypsies (live) - the haphazard way in which he turns up the volume: it's not really synced to the groove he's playing. Also, his sense of rhythm is generally kind of rough and unpolished, arguably just his style, compare with Steve Ray Vaughan who is perfection to me. Compared to contemporary standards, Jimi was the greatest guitarist thus far; the young EVH a close second.

This is interesting, RockNote - your post tells me a lot about the way younger player/listeners approach music in general and guitar playing in particular. To me, Band Of Gypsys is a Holy Grail of rock guitar Hendrix-style: his rhythm playing particularly (and, not that I expect you to be swayed or impressed by this, but it was Miles Davis's favourite Jimi album for precisely this reason). Hendrix's rhythms were, above all else, funky: by which I mean always knowing where the 'one' is, but able to have a variety of relations with the 'one' to keep the groove moving. More so with the funk 'bump' of the Cox/Miles rhythm section than with the rock drive of the Experience, Hendrix's relationship with the pulse is totally fluid: listen to the way he moves around it, shifting from behind the beat to anticipating it to sitting right on top of it. It's similar to what the jazz guys call 'swing.'

By contrast, most contemporary rock guitar rhythm is stiff and inflexible. That's not to say that it isn't often incredibly fast and precise - but all that means is that it's stiff at very high velocity. I'm not dissing you, your taste or the people you like other than SRV (who I like almost as much as SRV himself liked Jimi); only saying that it's a different aesthetic for a different time. Tremendous speed and precision are qualities I admire, but from a distance.

See, I like my grooves funky, whether the music is rock, reggae, blues, soul, jazz, country or anything else. One of the main pleasures I get from Led Zeppelin is from John Bonham's drumming, which stayed funky even at the dizziest heights of rock bombast. Page - like Jimi and Jeff Beck, another guitarist damned as 'sloppy' by the Metronome Dudes - characterised Zep music as 'tight but loose': another perfect thumbnail definition of funk. Like I said, it means not being afraid to move away from the 'one' as long as you always know where it is.

And SRV knew his funk. He learned a lot of it from his Jimi studies, too. Check out Hendrix's rhythm intro to Killing Floor from the Monterey CD/DVD. It bounces around like a pinball machine in an earthquake without dropping the beat: as sophisticated a slice of breakneck-paced rhythm guitar wizardry as anyone's ever delivered. If that's 'rough and unpolished,' then ... hell, I've practiced all my life to be that rpough and unpolished. So did SRV. And it shows. Precision is admirable, but without the funk it's ultimately dull.

What Jimi, EVH and SRV had in common was how effortlessly they all outclassed their imitators. And that is - at least partially - because they all had the funk, and their imitators didn't.

Archived