why does everyone say jimi hendrix was sloppy?

captain average

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i rarely hear a missed or wrong note in any of his playing, including the live stuff. his rhythm was always spot on, and he used tone as another paintbrush. i don't get it.

Most of the time the people that say that are into a completely dif' kind of music that they listen to and play. They discovered Hendrix because they heard or read that he was a "guitar GOD" and so they check him out and are dissapointed because he doesnt play they way they think a "guitar god" should.

• Members

Sloppy?.... I'd love to be able to "sloppy" the way he did.

I think people are confused and say he was sloppy, but he wasn't... when you watch him play his picking hand almost always looks like he's strumming chords... even when soloing. It was sort of a fusion of lead and rythym... he also used mutes in a very intricate way, which is why I think people say "sloppy" instead of "genius".

• Members

I think that part of it was the attitude or vibe that he put out and the fact that he was out of tune by the end of a set because of that damn tremolo. But to say that he was just a sloppy player is an oversimplification of an inaccurate statement IMHO. He was a frickin machine when it came to rhythm and his solos were dead on for the feel of the songs.

sloppy - no

out of tune - sometimes

Jimi had some serious meathooks that he called hands as well. Its not really fair for the rest of us.

• Members

well-- there's just some of it i have noticed while listening to it-- and i know this because i have thought this for a long time,and i dont listen to my hendrix CD's often-- i just think "man-- it's a little on the sloppy side".

some of his solos i guess-- riffs here and there.

i think he improvised alot on some of his solo fills and such in the studio, and that may be why-

also- back then- like i said-- there was no focus on being technically perfect because the HC forums weren't around back then for everyone to talk {censored} about everything---:) haha---- no but nobody paid attention to that kind of stuff back then-- it was just about good music- and jimi sure could write some great songs, and was a great blues player.

• Members

well-- there's just some of it i have noticed while listening to it-- and i know this because i have thought this for a long time,and i dont listen to my hendrix CD's often-- i just think "man-- it's a little on the sloppy side".

some of his solos i guess-- riffs here and there.

i think he improvised alot on some of his solo fills and such in the studio, and that may be why-

also- back then- like i said-- there was no focus on being technically perfect because the HC forums weren't around back then for everyone to talk {censored} about everything---
:)
haha---- no but nobody paid attention to that kind of stuff back then-- it was just about good music- and jimi sure could write some great songs, and was a great blues player.

not trying to be confrontational, but can you cite a specific recording you would call sloppy - I'd like to go and listen to it.

Archived