Roller Bridge and bigsby - review

mrbrown49

• Members

There has been some debate on here whether or not roller bridges suck tone and sustain or not. I just put one on me ibanez artist, fitted with a bigsy B-5 and GFS mean 90s. I think it sounds great. It did add a little brightness to the tone, but that was actually a good thing, especially when using the neck pickup. The biggest advantage too having a roller bridge, in my experience anyway, is that it smoothed out the action of the bigsby, and relieved some of the stiffness cause by the string going under the roller bar and up and over the TOM. The tremelo is now capable of more subtle movement.

Its not a perfect system. I find it a pain to set the intonation because the screws are right under the string, but once its set it sounds great. No rattle, and the intonation is dead on. It did help tuning stability as well.

Those are my thoughts. Carry on.

Edit: Oh yeah. This is the one I got.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wibrrobrlost.html

• Members

That's my experience with that bridge as well. I think it's a great bridge, with the tolerances as tight as it has, and the locking saddles and bridge posts, that thing has zero rattle and no vibration at all.
:thu:

I agree. Its very well built, and an excellent value. I used the existing posts because they fit, but they are a much smaller diameter. I wanted to make sure I liked the bridge before I committed to drilling out larger holes.

Did you use the posts that came with it, and if so, is there a benefit to using those?

• Members

that's a good bridge.

i don't like bigsbys though, the bar feels more like a vice grip clamped onto the tailpiece than a tool for creativity

Its great for subtle vibrato, and "the bigsby shake." I do some wonderfully creative things with it (at least I think so), but don't look for it to do things that a strat trem will do. I use it more when playing chords than soloing. Some wonderful things happen when the bigsby is used on a backing guitar track.

FYI - M Wards new record (post war) has some great bigsby work and wonder gretsch twang.

• Members

Its great for subtle vibrato, and "the bigsby shake." I do some wonderfully creative things with it (at least I think so), but don't look for it to do things that a strat trem will do. I use it more when playing chords than soloing. Some wonderful things happen when the bigsby is used on a backing guitar track.

FYI - M Wards new record (post war) has some great bigsby work and wonder gretsch twang.

it's not that, it's the bar is never long enough. i like to hold it while i'm playing and i've never encountered a bigsby i could do that with. i love the sounds they make i just don't like the feel

• Members

it's not that, it's the bar is never long enough. i like to hold it while i'm playing and i've never encountered a bigsby i could do that with. i love the sounds they make i just don't like the feel

I understand that. Fortunatly mine is in a good position, and I can put it in my palm and play. Unfortunatly, bigsby puts that stop on the arm that keeps it from going up high enough. That stop has to be cut off to get the bar in the right spot (if its long enough already). Easy work if you have a dremel tool or a grinding wheel.

I agree with you though. On most guitars the bigsby is in a bad spot.

• Members

I did not use the larger posts - I don't see any reason there would be benefit?

Good bridge though. Looks very sharp too. - you should show us some pics
:idea:

Good idea! I will try and do that when I get home from work. If you are lucky, I might even post some sound clips.:eek:

• Members

Have you tried the lornger 9.5 handles that are available.

Archived