Any love for the Marshall AVT150H Half Stack?

yz250f49

• Members

Marshall AVTs don't get much love around here, but that's because most of us are gear snobs and AVTs aren't tube amps.

If it sounds good to you, and you want it, you should buy it. Seems like $500 is a great deal on it.

• Members

Marshall AVTs don't get much love around here, but that's because most of us are gear snobs and AVTs aren't tube amps.

If it sounds good to you, and you want it, you should buy it. Seems like $500 is a great deal on it.

True, not a true tuber although they do have 4 tube preamp channels and its preamp section is based on a 12AX7.

• Members

I used to use that rig for band practice...sweet rig.

I have an AVT100 combo at home...no bad words about it at all, other than it's a bit quiet in a live context.

Soundwise it's great, holds up with my JCM800s and 900s no problem.

If the 150 head turned up at a sweet price, I would probably bite, valves on the road can be a pain.

• Members

Having messed around with a friends one, they arent bad, but they arent great either. You can easily get some usable tones, as per most marshalls, but the cab really does it no favours.

What's the issue with the cabinet?

• Members

I used to use that rig for band practice...sweet rig.

I have an AVT100 combo at home...no bad words about it at all, other than it's a bit quiet in a live context.

Soundwise it's great, holds up with my JCM800s and 900s no problem.

If the 150 head turned up at a sweet price, I would probably bite, valves on the road can be a pain.

I have the AVT50. I'll second this opinion. No bad words.

The clean channel is a bit quiet (i.e. don't think about gigging this baby). But otherwise, it's fine.

• Members

The guitarist in my last band had one when we first started out. The cab is mdf, there are much better cabs out there. The amp strained to keep up in a band situation. Any amp I own or owned at the time would walk all over his avt. We tried that head with various cabs and could only get it to sound decent at lower volumes. After a few full volume practices the avt went up in smoke, the ohms were matched, it was turned up but not cranked. There is no way I would use one of these in a gigging situation. Luckily the amp was under warrantee and was repaired for free. While the avt was out for repair I let him use a spare vtm 60 I had at the time. We did an a/b with the vtm after he got the avt back. The vtm blew the avt 150 out of the water volume wise and tone wise. There are better amps out there then a vtm, not that the vtm is a bad amp though. He sold the avt as soon as he got it back. He bought my vtm off me, and an ultra plus with what he made on ebay off the avt. IMO Flip it for a profit but don

Archived