Kluson, Gotoh, or Schaller?????

Muckbound

• Members

Well i suppose it depends on the style you are after. I recently changed the machineheads on my strat as i'd been really hankering after some vintage kluson button type. So iwent for the official Fender vintage Klusons and to my suprise when i got them they had no other marking apart from the country of manufacture, japan!

Thing is i was tossing up wether to go for the real deal (well the real brand i.e. Fender) or go for a quality alternative like gotoh. If i had known this before hand then i would probably have plumped for the gotoh's as these came in the same style a lot cheaper and even in a locking version which would have been a welcome bonus.

check out Universal Jems for a good selection.

• Members

tbh i have not strung them up yet :o , just put them on a few days ago (well a couple of weeks now :o :o, long story shory my wife doesnt know i got them as we are saving hard and this was a secret indulgence, and have not had a chance to nip out for any strings yet ) so i cant say if they hold their tune well as yet, but as they are made in japan (and are probably by gotoh anyway) i feel pretty sure they will function just fine. They dont have any marking on the part of the machinehead you can see, its on the inside of the machinehead.

I'd imagine the Gotoh ones look exactly the same though and a bit cheaper to boot. I did have to get 10mm to 8 mm bushes to make them fit the larger drilled holes in the headstock, in fact the hole in the bushes was just a bit on the small side of 8mm so i had to drill these to fit the shafts of the machinehead :rolleyes: which meant a bit more work than i had bargained for.

However like you said they do look great, ive always loved the oval button dsign, especially on the learge strat headstock, just screams class to me.

• Members

I have the following types on my strats, - Klusons, locking Schallers and locking Grovers. The Klusons hold thier tuning as well as the locking ones. I hardly ever dive bomb these days so that makes a difference. I mostly got the locking tuners for thier convenience, string changes are much shorter. I also like to have at least 3 windings around the post of the low E and twice that for the high E.

Stay away from Planet Waves locking tuners. I read a thread here or at another forum that they break after a short while. it has something to do w/ plastic parts.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Aren't modern Kluson tuners made by Gotoh and other makers (since the original Kluson company no longer exists)?

Whenever they arrive I'll look at what it says on the box. On e-bay they are listed as "Kluson deluxe tuning pegs stratocaster new" I'll let you know if they are actual Kluson's or not.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

That's right folkes. Nuttin has worked for me. I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. Please help. I bought a beautiful clone of a Gibson L5CES and she's really sweet, but the tuning pegs are trailer park rejects. Unfortunately, the headstock is 13/16ths of an inch thick, and I can't find replacement tuning machines anywhere. I've checked all the big makers and most of the larger stores with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

Archived