Ace Frehley's Tone.

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw KISS in Winnipeg, I believe it was spring 1977... I was 16 at the time... Ace was a God to me. In 'Shock Me' he went down on his kness and he couldn't get up (ya, kneeling while playing)... they had to dim the lights and pick him up! My older friend was saying what a druggee his was and hot screwed-up he was that nite... I'm all naive and like 'noooo, he's not a drugee' I couldn't believe it... ah, to be young and innocent again...

Anyhow, that solo to Shock Me is one of his greatest... his tone is unbelievable... he gave me the courage to stand up to my parents and demand that they switch me to guitar lessons from the accordion :)

The rest is history... I don't live if I don't play now! Thanks Ace...

Originally posted by jake not

I saw Kiss during the Alive II tour of '78.......yeah I'm an old fart, back when they really did play through that many Marshall stacks. Ace was a god to me. His tone was awesome but I have learned over the years he wasn't always playing on the records because he was wasted or he might have been too drunk to play during a show.

• Members

So many people have a hard time giving KISS any credit. It seems to be the "in" thing to slag KISS.

They weren't virtuosos (well, not the original lineup, anyhow) but they were a solid rock band who marketed the {censored} out of themselves and made no apologies about it. Love 'em or hate 'em they played a HUGE role in Rock N Roll history. Don't believe me? Just look at how many guitar players decided to pick up a guitar after hearing them. Look at how many bands use theatrics in their show. Sure, KISS didn't invent the idea of theatrics in music but they, along with Alice Cooper, definitely brought it to the forefront of modern music.

• Members

I keep hearing how Kiss:Alive was re-recorded somehow, but not from anyone that seems to really know. I saw them many times in the 70s and that's what they sounded like live to me. I know just about every live album has some stuff doctored, bad notes etc, but Kiss seems to get all the beatings.

• Members

Originally posted by eroom

Ace obviously had his shortcomings, but for a kid like me growing up in the 70's he was a god. He truly is the reason that I picked up a guitar. Thanks Ace!

All I know is what happened to me when I first heard their song Rock and Roll. It kicked my ass and I HAD to learn it. Not the Kiss Alive I version but I bought the studio album it was on, I'm trying to remember which one....anyways, Aces leads just killed me. It wasn't like other people I listened to where I would think "Jesus that's so hard to play", it was like I need to learn this, it's so good.

• Members

Wow! I saw the same show. July 77, right? Cheap Trick opened. I got down to the front of the stage and got a ton of pictures. Say what you will about Gene, and he is a douche these days, but he posed for a couple of shots, pointing at me, and waiting until I got the picture before he moved on. Really cool for a 17 year old.

Originally posted by kevorkazito

I saw KISS in Winnipeg, I believe it was spring 1977... I was 16 at the time... Ace was a God to me. In 'Shock Me' he went down on his kness and he couldn't get up (ya, kneeling while playing)... they had to dim the lights and pick him up! My older friend was saying what a druggee his was and hot screwed-up he was that nite... I'm all naive and like 'noooo, he's not a drugee' I couldn't believe it... ah, to be young and innocent again...

Anyhow, that solo to Shock Me is one of his greatest... his tone is unbelievable... he gave me the courage to stand up to my parents and demand that they switch me to guitar lessons from the accordion
:)

The rest is history... I don't live if I don't play now! Thanks Ace...

• Members

I think this is wrong. I saw a VH1 show, or something like that, where he said a lot of remixing, dubbing and re-recording was done, but that Ace's stuff was used largely as is.

Originally posted by onbongos

he's said they only kept the drum tracks, everything else was rerecorded and they dubbed in crowd noises from monday night football

• Members

Originally posted by kevorkazito

I saw KISS in Winnipeg, I believe it was spring 1977... I was 16 at the time... Ace was a God to me. In 'Shock Me' he went down on his kness and he couldn't get up (ya, kneeling while playing)... they had to dim the lights and pick him up! My older friend was saying what a druggee his was and hot screwed-up he was that nite...

Funny how your perspective changes over time. When I first read that Ace went to his knees and couldn't get up I thought, "bad knees. That sucks..."

• Members

Originally posted by 4thought

I think this is wrong. I saw a VH1 show, or something like that, where he said a lot of remixing, dubbing and re-recording was done, but that Ace's stuff was used largely as is.

Well considering KISS didn't sound anything like "Alive" before or since, I'd imagine it's mostly live, with a few touch ups like every other live album.

• Members

yeah the midnite sp. '75 is a killer tone.

they were WAY tighter then given credit for.

and ALIVE! is one of the LEAST touched up live albums out there, believe it or not.

a flat vocal here, a wrong chord there, but you can see on bootleg videos that their playing was tight.

they even left mistakes on ALIVE!. (there's a wrong chord in "c'mon and love me" that is left on the record, etc.)

alive II, now there's a fake record.

but back then, the average person didn't notice things like

3 paul stanley voices harmonizing with himself on tommorow and tonite, love gun, etc. you can tell all three harmonies are pauls.(as well as the lead vocal, of course.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

I heard that it was actually Molly Hatchet playing on Alive I

HAHA! :thu:

I have those videos from VH1 somwhere, ill have to dig em up but i remember either paul or gene said they wernt really live at all. And then i remember fred durst or somthing was about to cry and say thats bullshit i actualy paid for that. :p

• Members

It wasnt that bad, i think what we were listening to the RECORDS threw is what sounded like {censored}.

Here is the video of Kiss talking about the Alive album not being live.

Kiss not alive

If you listen to some of those parts of Ace playing, i dont think his sound was that bad for 1975 maybe its just these headphones but it didnt sound that bad to me.

Man i got a video my dad recorded kiss was on this show called solid gold, Ace is wearing a lighting bolt suit, gene has his hair down in a pony tail and paul has on this purple head band. They played 2 songs that i never heard of. One was called hero and i believe in me or somthing like that. I ripped them to video a few years ago then lost the tape and the videos. I put them on kaza and a few people downloaded em they were kinda cool.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

It wasnt that bad, i think what we were listening to the RECORDS threw is what sounded like {censored}.

If you listen to some of those parts of Ace playing, i dont think his sound was that bad for 1975 maybe its just these headphones but it didnt sound that bad to me.

Man i got a video my dad recorded kiss was on this show called solid gold, Ace is wearing a lighting bolt suit, gene has his hair down in a pony tail and paul has on this purple head band. They played 2 songs that i never heard of. One was called hero and i believe in me or somthing like that. I ripped them to video a few years ago then lost the tape and the videos. I put them on kaza and a few people downloaded em they were kinda cool.

"A World Without Heroes" and "I" were both from the "Music From The Elder" album. Definitely not a high point in their career. They were trying to become serious musicians by writing a concept album. There are a few good tunes on the album but overall it's pretty bad.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

So what they say, is the record IS live, but a few mistakes were touched up, just like they are on every live album. And the audience was boosted, just like they are on nearly every live album. Have you guys ever heard Frapton Comes Alive? It sounds like an audience of millions.

• Members

Originally posted by Father_William

So what they say, is the record IS live, but a few mistakes were touched up, just like they are on every live album. And the audience was boosted, just like they are on nearly every live album. Have you guys ever heard Frapton Comes Alive? It sounds like an audience of millions.

Well what ever they did atleast people know what they said and that you wont hear GO STEELERS! in the audience lol

Archived