Johnson guitars...Are they any good?

Noise...

• Members

Ok, everyone rants and raves about SX's and Agiles, but I've never heard of these until I saw a few of their strats hanging at a local shop. I just looked them up, and every guitar is made out of what it should be. Les Paul-styled guitars are mahogany with a maple top. Strat-like guitars are alder. Hollowbodies are maple.

Are these any good? They're crazy cheap - even the list prices are low. Anyone know about them?

• Members

i have a johnson neck i got off ebay for like $30. it's actually really nice for how cheap it is. it has like a faux ibanez headstock shape. the fret ends are suprisingly super smooth. it's going onto it's 3rd guitar soon, a plywood flying v body.

• Members

I have the JS-800 Strat and the JT-800 Tele.

They are both very nice guitars. I play the strat about everyday.

They are easily equal if not superior to SX guitars in build quality.

And I also own several SX guitars. Since just about all my SX guitars had issues I might say Johnsons are better. I like SX guitars too. I'd just expect to budget another $50 for a fret dressing or whatever if I bought an SX.

I am often surprised that Johnson doesn't get more talk here. Perhaps their early models (they've only been around since the 90's) were not too good. I have doubts as to the credibility of folks who make negative remarks about this company although like any company they no doubt put out a lemon once in awhile. You know, like Gibson does...

As with any guitar expect to set it up when you get it. I would not hesitate to buy another.

• Members

My Two-Cents? I know a fellow whom use to sell a LOT of used guitars at his shop in BPT. CT. I went in one day to see what was up? He then had a line of both Acoustic and Electric Johnsons? Personally I didn't like them. But thats me. I have been impressed AGILE. Very much so! I don't know about consistant, I bought ONE electric from them and Love it!

• Members

Don't have any direct experience but I've heard good things about Johnson guitars, especially the Delta Rose and larger archtops. A friend of mine runs a small shop dealing mostly in acoustic instruments. He is really impressed with the Carolina Series acoustics, says they are better built and cheaper than the comparable Blueridge models that people seem to like so much.

• Members

Johnson/AXL are like any other [cheaper] guitar they vary in quality, try before you buy. The Johnson LPs are not near an Epiphone in quality,but, they are ok [wide-ish neck, small frets =not me]They sound fine and play bearably.

I have an AXL Player Deluxe telecaster copy [ more or less a Johnson JT800], which is good for the price.

Playability, action,fretting wood and hardware is fine.All is ok apart from the Pickups, the neck pickup was especially crap. I changed the neck pickup to a mighty mite and it's a nice sounding unit now.I like my tele copy and have had it 3 years.They certainly are worth trying in a shop.

Archived