best stay-in-tune guitar

barrydazzle

• Members

Anything without a trem.

The most important thing so far as staying in tune is to have a well cut nut and proper stringing technique. You can make a very cheap guitar stay in tune perfectly if you do this.

A friend of mine complained that he couldn't get any of his guitars to stay in tune. I had a look and he had the strings wound around the pegs about seven or eight times. I showed him how to use a bare minimum of windings and a week later he bought me a case of weissbier. The Wilkinson EZLok tuners are great in this respect. On my XV-850 the sixth string literally goes just 3/4 of the way around the peg.

• Members

A friend of mine complained that he couldn't get any of his guitars to stay in tune. I had a look and he had the strings wound around the pegs about seven or eight times. I showed him how to use a bare minimum of windings and a week later he bought me a case of weissbier. The Wilkinson EZLok tuners are great in this respect. On my XV-850 the sixth string literally goes just 3/4 of the way around the peg.

interesting.....

Do you have a link to an explanation of this tuning method?

Cant promise you a case though.

• Members

Anything without a trem.

The most important thing so far as staying in tune is to have a well cut nut and proper stringing technique. You can make a very cheap guitar stay in tune perfectly if you do this.

I disagree, in fact I think that anything that HAS a trem (or Floyd Rose anyway) will stay in tune much better than something without one. I can't remember the last time I had to tune my Wolfgang.

• Members

I disagree, in fact I think that anything that HAS a trem (or Floyd Rose anyway) will stay in tune much better than something without one. I can't remember the last time I had to tune my Wolfgang.

Does your wolfgang lock? a non locking trem when used puts a guitar out of tune, it's a fact.

• Members

i've never really had a big issue with tuning, i think most of the "cheap" tuners coming on import guitars these days are just fine - you see more and more coming with very decent grovers stock...

i suppose the kluson-styles on older epiphones are {censored}.

anyway thanks for the link - i've never learnt it this way - will do from now on!

and to the original poster - do you actually have a tuning issue you wish to resolve?

• Members

The most tuning stability I've experienced, came from an Ibanez with a double locking tremolo, which was completely blocked. There was no movement at the bridge or nut (locking), so once the strings were stretched, they would stay in tune for weeks.

• Members

I'd rather Tune then fight with a double locker (kahler, Floyd Rose etc)... But they do an excellent job once they're set up.

My Tele with Bigsby, roller bridge and roller nut stays in pretty well. I suspect better tuning keys would help. But I can use the Bigbsy to my hearts content with minimal amount of detuning. String bends however, still cause some slight detuning.

• Members

Ever break a string on that Floyd? Bend a note on more than one string? Is it in tune then?

• Members

Steinberger, I would have to say with none coming even close. Saw a video of the maker suspend the guitar between two chairs, stand on the neck and bounce, then pick it up and play it still in tune. But they are also dead ugly. SO its a give and take thing i guess.

Archived