How do I fix an "Out of phase" pickup installation?

• Members

I took two of my guitars in for a trade value estimate today. One thing they concluded on my Sheraton II was that the pickups were out of phase in the middle selection.

I had my friend's dad install a new switch and neck humbucker about 2 years ago and as far as I know, everything was ok. I always play only the neck humbucker anyway.

So how do I fix it if the middle position is out of phase? :confused:

• Members

If the pickups aren't in phase with each other and wired correctly, you may have to flip the magnet around in one of them to correct it. Depending on the pickup, it may not be that hard but might require re-potting the pickup when you finish.

Or just live with it, and enjoy the "Peter Green" sound.

• Members

So I have to switch the wires on the neck volume pot?

It is hooked up with some weird ass plastic "quick connect" system. It came like that from the factory. I guess when he put in the neck pickup he mixed up the wires on the connector.

Switch them on either pickup.

• Members

If the pickups aren't in phase with each other and wired correctly, you may have to flip the magnet around in one of them to correct it. Depending on the pickup, it may not be that hard but might require re-potting the pickup when you finish.

Or just live with it, and enjoy the "Peter Green" sound.

That's one way to do it, but it's easier to just resolder, especially if the PU is wax potted. If there isn't a braided ground, you switch them at the pot; if there is a braided lead, you switch them at the PU.

• Members

What exactly does "out of phase" mean?

When they are wired out of phase the polaritys are swapped, so the signal of one pup is inverted when compared to another(picture sine waves). The parts of the signal that are same get canceled out. But since the pups don't "see" exactly the same input, the remaining signal is passed through.

I think I made it sound way more confusing than it is. :freak:

• Members

No. That made sense. (I studied engineering back in the day).

My question was actually more about how it SOUNDS when it's out of phase. Weaker? Missing certain frequencies?

Pretty much, yep.

They sound anemic, with a lot of their signal canceled out. And, to use an arbitrary term, very phase-y, a lack of focus or definition, kind of bright and muddy at the same time.

Archived