Cindy Lauper

where02190

• Members

At 52, she can still blow just about anyone off the stage 1/2 her age. What an amazing performer. It's sad that the world doesn't understand or appreciate her talent more that she can't even sell out a small theater. I ws fortunate to witness it from the first row tonight...I won't need to listen to music for awhile now. Thank you Cindy, God blessed us with you for sure!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

Too right Where. She's always been a favorite of mine. And in a strange way, a kindred spirit to Jules Shear. She covered his "All Through The Night".

Both of them have a unique but confident way of emoting in a song.

52? Well I always thought she was cute, hot, different, cool, should be my girlfriend/wife. I saw her on TV last month and she looks great. I'm married... so as much as you want me Cindy... NO!

Cindy!!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

At 52, she can still blow just about anyone off the stage 1/2 her age. What an amazing performer. It's sad that the world doesn't understand or appreciate her talent more that she can't even sell out a small theater. I ws fortunate to witness it from the first row tonight...I won't need to listen to music for awhile now. Thank you Cindy, God blessed us with you for sure!!!!!!!!

Seriously, when "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" came out, did you ever think you'd be writing that?

• Members

Originally posted by Super 8

Seriously, when "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" came out, did you ever think you'd be writing that?

That may seem like just a dopey pop song, but when she sang the line, "that's all they really waaaaaaaaaant, just fuuuuuuuuun," she peeled the paint off the walls, and I could tell there was more to her than just a lucky one-hit wonder. She's a talented singer, IMO. That much was obvious to me back in the mid-'80s. :thu:

• Members

I think that an artist that combines humor with music is doomed to never be taken seriously. Rarely does the memory of the songs outshine the memories of the videos. The vids were cheezy and the style goofy. I perpetually associate her with that, so I never think of seeing her live, even though I've seen tv performances recently and she sounds great. I just can't separate the old and new. I bet that's what most people feel, which is why she does draw flies.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Too right Where. She's always been a favorite of mine. And in a strange way, a kindred spirit to Jules Shear. She covered his "All Through The Night".

There's also the song "Steady" that she wrote with Jules that appears on The Eternal Return LP.

:thu:

It's worth noting that the production/writing team behind her first record (Rick Chertoff, Eric Bazilian, Rob Hyman) were also instrumental in Joan Osbourne's debut.

Yes I'm a trivia geek. :o

• Members

Originally posted by songrytr

It's worth noting that the production/writing team behind her first record (Rick Chertoff, Eric Bazilian, Rob Hyman) were also instrumental in Joan Osbourne's debut.

Yes I'm a trivia geek.
:o

You probably know Chertoff, Bazilian, and Hyman as the primary songwriters in The Hooters. They had, what, 3 or 4 "top 10" hits in that band?

Around 25 years ago, I remember first hearing (on WPDH/Poughkeepsie) Cyndi as the singer with the band Blue Angel. They had a Spector-esque song, "I Had a Love", that was amazing. I haven't thought about it in a long time but now I want to track it down.

• Members

At 52, she can still blow just about anyone off the stage 1/2 her age. What an amazing performer. It's sad that the world doesn't understand or appreciate her talent more that she can't even sell out a small theater. I

Even artists of her calibre find it difficult to sellout a small theater...??...how many folks were there @ the venue..??

• Members

Cyndi has an amazing set of pipes and is a stunningly excellent performer and class act. She will deliver 110% if there is only one person in the audience. She is one of the most gifted and underrated singer/performer on the planet. She also works extremely hard to use her gift in the best possible way. I would define that as inspirational. That is the ultimate compliment.

• Members

Originally posted by zekmoe

I think that an artist that combines humor with music is doomed to never be taken seriously.

But that's just it, she is taken seriously. She gets a lot of respect from musicians. And yet "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is probably about as bubblegun as you can get.

Now weigh Cindy in against someone like Alanis Morriset, who trys to come off as a "serious artist". Musicians are always dissing her as being amateurish.

I just find that interesting for some reason.

• Members

Originally posted by TheWewus

Anyone ever hear the album of the band Blue Angel that Cyndi was in before she went solo? I've heard it's really good. I still like her song Time After Time from her first album.

I mentioned it in my post and here's the allmusic.com review of it:

Review by Lindsay Planer

Prior to becoming the iconoclastic vocalist who would revolutionize the role of women in rock & roll during the 1980s, Cyndi Lauper fronted Blue Angel, a retro-rock quintet that was all too short-lived. Their sound recalls all that is good (OK, great) about the superbly crafted early-'60s pop music genre

• Members

Maybe 1000 in a 3000 seater....sad...

I saw a Tubes concert here that was like that. Disheartening, as I was a big Tubes fan. But, the cool thing, they played as though they were playing to a full house.

After the show they came out and signed T-shirts. Got a chance to meet the band. I thought Fee Waybill would be a bit of an uppity sort, but he's actually the most outgoing and yappy guy in the band.

Back to Lauper. I had a bit of trouble with her credibility, as back in the 80s she was really milking that whole J.A.P. persona...and her speaking voice drove me nucking FUTS. It was like an over-the-top comedian, y'know, very gimmicky. But, she really is a beautiful gal and a gifted singer.

One thing that some acts that no longer draw huge crowds on their own have done, is to team up with other similar acts and do a "revue" type band. Picture an "80s all-stars" type lineup for example.

• Members

To tell the truth, a few years ago the Boston Pops had Cyndi Lauper on the 4th of July program and we thought it was horrible. In fairness, given the stage situation at that show she probably couldn't hear herself or much else either.

I do agree that her albums in the mid-80's were well made pop music.

Originally posted by MarkZ

You probably know Chertoff, Bazilian, and Hyman as the primary songwriters in The Hooters. They had, what, 3 or 4 "top 10" hits in that band?

Another great pop band.:thu:

The Hooters have special place in my heart. Look for the song "Where do the Children go" - it was written about some friends of mine.:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by Billster

To tell the truth, a few years ago the Boston Pops had Cyndi Lauper on the 4th of July program and we thought it was horrible. In fairness, given the stage situation at that show she probably couldn't hear herself or much else either.

A few years ago, she headlined Saturday night at the Taste of Addison, a 3-day outdoor family themed event which features representation from the plethora of restaurants in the town. Day time draws the kiddies, night time brings out the adults.

Anyway, a bunch of my friends wanted to go and I thought "Cindi Lauper, well I guess after a few beers anything will sound good..." I couldn't have been more wrong (about the beer part). She completely changed my image of her at this huge outdoor event (max capacity of the grounds is 60,000 and it was crowded that night, on a side note there was even a mosh pit for which she promptly stopped the band and scolded the people for acting inappropriately for this family event "there are kids here!" she reminded them).

She nailed her classics as well as performed some newer stuff which was quite a departure from her earlier "bubblegum" stuff. She crossed several genres effortlessly including an R and B tune with a bunch of vocal embellishments. She gets around the stage engaging the audience and puts on a good show, something younger performers often neglect. Solid. The $5 price of admission was a steal and I would pay much more to see her again.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

and her speaking voice drove me nucking FUTS. It was like an over-the-top comedian, y'know, very gimmicky. But, she really is a beautiful gal and a gifted singer.

Funny thing is, in conversation her voice ain't that much different - she's got that Brooklyn thing going 100% ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Billster

...The Hooters have special place in my heart. Look for the song "Where do the Children go" - it was written about some friends of mine.
:cry:

Wow... just wow.

I listened to that Hooters breakout album, Nervous Night (IIRC) a lot, freshman year of college.

And We Danced, Day By Day, All You Zombies and Where Do The Children Go (with Patti Smyth. :thu: .) standout in my mind. There were a few clunkers, too.

As for Cyndi, I brought Lilly to a Tower Records, in store appearance 3 years ago and we had a blast. It was a short, acoustic set, the store was absolutely packed, but Lilly had a great time dancing and watching on my shoulders. :thu:

Cyndi definitely is better than the sum of her celebrity persona from the 1980's. We always knew she could sing. Time After Time proved that, as did True Colors. :thu:

• Members

Not to further hijack the thread, but since we've tangentially touched on The Hooters...

They were the middle act in the most oddly matched triple bill concert I've ever seen. University of Buffalo, circa 1986:

- The Gap Band

- The Hooters

- Squeeze

The last 2 make sense together, but The Gap Band?:confused:

We now return to your original topic, already in progress...

Archived