Bad Monkey or Boss DS-1?

SnoMan97

• Members

I just got a DS-1 And this pedal truly kicks ass. but I dont use it only as an overdrive pedal. normally, I can get it to have some nice dirty blues tones, all the way up to some hendrixy stuff (it gets pretty dirty at higher drive levels) but the point this thing owns, is when pushing an overdriven tube amp. it KILLS.

• Members

I use 2 BMs. 1 is set as a mild boost to lift volume with some extra mids and a touch of breakup. The other is for overdrive, and I have the gain maxed and level just above unity to provide overdrive tones. With a really hot humbucker it will push into distortion, but with a strat it's just overdrive.

One thing which surprised me is that the tone controls really work. Bass and treble alter those parts of the tonal range, mostly leaving the mids alone. This is great because you can set the pedal up to boost or scoop the mids, rather than just making the pedal louder or softer as so often happens with this control set up.

• Members

If you're looking for a OD/Boost, you're better off comparing the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive to the Bad Monkey. I'm currently waiting on a mod for my SD-1, so I can't compare it to my Monkey, but as someone else mentioned, the high/low controls are much cooler than a simple 'Tone' control. The Monkey boosts the gain channels on my XXX quite well.

• Members

IMHO, the DS-1 improves immensly if you remove the clipping diodes in the pedal. It increases the volume alot and decreases the amount of distortion, but the gain of the pedal becomes more amplike and dynamic, less compressed. Lets the tone of your guitar/ pickups really come through. I used to hate the pedal stock, after this mod, I use it all the time.

Just something to consider.

• Members

If you want blues and rock, do not get a DS-1. It's definitely aimed at getting a more saturated hard rock sound, and not a very good one at that. I agree with Ryan Trevisol, I've found most of the Boss overdrive or distortion products way too fizzy. I'm pissed I even bought the DS-1 in the first place, piece of crap.

How does your Barber Direct Drive compare to the Bad Monkey?

• Members

I have a bad monkey, it's pretty good for the bluesy hard rock sound. I had a DS1, it definately has a more metal sound. I'm thinking of buying the DS1 or the digitech version so I can get more of a metal sound.

• Members

How does your Barber Direct Drive compare to the Bad Monkey?

I've never played a Bad Monkey, so I can't compare them.

Mini Review: I absolutely love the Direct Drive. It has more gain than say a TS9, so while it can do everything a TS9 can it can also venture into heavier territory that a tube screamer can't get to by itself. It's kind of between an overdrive and a distortion IMO. It's not going to do metal, but with the gain maxed you can get a good saturated lead sound for rock. Lots of sustain and a very rich sound. The true bypass, fat switch, and internal trim pots for bass and treble are are very useful features. All the controls actually DO something. Best $115 I've ever spent. My friend has an MXR Doubleshot, a stock TS9, and a Keeley modded TS9 and I like this more than all of them.

Here's a clip of me noodling on my G&L --> Direct Drive --> Guyatone Delay --> Deluxe Reverb at house volumes (ie volume at 2). Everything on the pedal is set around noon. It sounds better into an amp that's cranked a bit, really sings.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23797

Sorry to hijack this thread, I got a little excited :o

Archived