Bad Monkey or Boss DS-1?

• Members

I've got a Bad Monkey. Never tried a DS1.

I don't care for the Bad Monkey in front of my Peavey Classic 30 or 50, but it kicks ass in front of my old Marshall JCM800.

It's only $40, so it's not that big of a gamble.

• Members

the two pedals are pretty different, the bad monkey is a lighter overdrive (tubescreamer clone), and the DS-1 is heavier on the distortion. both pedals are really good if dialed in correctly...so it'd just depend on if you want a lighter tubescreamer-ish distortion, or a heaver sort of cranked marshall type distortion.

the bad monkey has low and high eq knobs, the DS-1 does not (it only has 1 tone knob), so that may factor in to your decision.

• Members

I am looking to buy a new distortion pedal. Of these two, which is the better choice. I just want a good blues, rock type distortion. No metal here.

Check these out.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

http://home.mindspring.com/~hottieamps/hottiemods/

You have alot more choices than you think. What kind of tone are you looking for?

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking for a lighter distortion so the BM may be the way to go.
:thu:

check out this then.

One of the best sounding overdrives I have ever heard. Very organic and amp like. Very user friendly and versatile.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/bb_preamp/index.html

For a pedal thats similar but with a little more bite to it, check this one out.

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/ac_booster/index.html

I own the AC booster and its a fantastic overdrive pedal with lots of tone possiblities.

• Members

If you want blues and rock, do not get a DS-1. It's definitely aimed at getting a more saturated hard rock sound, and not a very good one at that. I agree with Ryan Trevisol, I've found most of the Boss overdrive or distortion products way too fizzy. I'm pissed I even bought the DS-1 in the first place, piece of crap.

• Members

I got a Screaming Blues pedal.It has a little more gain than the Bad Monkey.It works pretty good with my Champion 600.

Been meaning to ask you what you ended up getting for gain...

What kind of tones you getting out of that combination?

• Members

The Bad Monkey rules and it is inexpensive. A lot of people rave about DS-1s, AFTER they spend $$$ for upgrades, so why bother? I had a DS-1 and got rid of it ASAP. It isn't an accident that Guitar Center has used ones for $19.00 all the time.

• Members

I have both the DS-1 and the Bad Monkey. I also have a Boss OD-3 Overdrive, and a DOD YJM-308 overdrive. Originally I wanted to replace the BM, as it wasn't giving me the sound I wanted. The trick with the BM as I have since found, is the turn the treble all the way up, and the bass nearly all the way up too. Also set the gain all the way, or nearly all the way if you want a significant overdrive/lighter distortion sound. Set at half way, it is a cleaner overdrive sound. And finally set the level fairly modestly, or what matches up best with your amp/room environment.

I don't like the DS-1 that much. Modded, they are supposed to be quite good. So I may do that. If I had to have one or the other, the BM without a doubt. The DS-1 can sound ok if you keep the tone at half way or less. Any more and it becomes too tizzy. Keep the distortion at half way or less, and you end up getting more of an overdrive sound.

Now the OD-3 is a very good overdrive pedal too. But I have come to realize that for twice the price, it isn't twice as good as the BM. It does have more of an overdrive sound to it, but the bass is not as full sounding as the BM can be. So the BM can sound a bit darker, whereas the OD-3 can sound a little more brighter. One cool thing is I can turn down the gain on both to about half way, and then turn both on. This cascading effect is similar to what SRV used to do with his 2 tubescreamers. Can get some good distortion this way, or keep one off to stay clean, and then add the second for scorching leads.

• Members

Could also look into the MXR Zakk Wylde or DOD YJM. I find the YJM too be a bit too brittle, but that depends on the amp you are going into as well. The Zakk Wylde is really light on the distortion and works pretty good as a boost. Also, one other that I really liked was the Rocktron Austin Gold. A lot of pedals boost with a bit of added color but I thoght the Rocktron was very transparent and on it's own into a clean channel it has a very Eric Johnson tone too it.

I have a modded DS-1 (indyguitarist mod). Makes a huge difference. Very thick but way more in the distortion vs. overdrive.