Noisy Ibanez Gio...Is it tone knob?

Beast_vs_Beast

• Members

I have an Ibanez grx20 (from the entry-level gio series) as well as a Cube 30x amp. About 60-70% of the times I turn on the amp and play, I have this annoying noise that only occurs when I'm not touching a string...Even when I am touching a string, the sound is not quite as crisp as it can be. I end up getting an irritating (but not excessive) amount of unwanted noise and feedback which will only go away if I turn the guitar's tone knob all the way down. Does this seem like it's a grounding issue with my guitar's tone knob or could it possibly be my amp. Or could it even be my utility lines. I'm assuming it is the guitar, but I'm not sure. I hope it's the guitar. I wouldn't imagine an entry level Ibanez would have incredible controls and wiring. Please help...Thanks.

• Members

There is probably something nearby that is causing your guitar to buzz. Fluorescent lights, TV, pc monitor or any other electrical device nearby could cause interference. Go to www.guitarnuts.com and look for the "Quieting the Beast" article.

It is supposed to quiet when you touch the strings. That means your ground is working as it should.

• Members

Had a gio for a while. It is definitely the guitar. The honest truth is that the electronics in them are just cheap. They will pick up noise like crazy. I'd say you should replace your electronics. Problem is, that would cost as much as the guitar's worth (or more).

My advice...save up and buy a better axe. Not trying to dis yours, just giving you my opinion. I sold mine and bought a better one...no problems here!

• Members

Had a gio for a while. It is definitely the guitar. The honest truth is that the electronics in them are just cheap. They will pick up noise like crazy. I'd say you should replace your electronics. Problem is, that would cost as much as the guitar's worth (or more).

My advice...save up and buy a better axe. Not trying to dis yours, just giving you my opinion. I sold mine and bought a better one...no problems here!

By electronics do you mean just the pots and wiring and switches or the pickups as well?

• Members

I had one of those. The pickups are about as bad as you can get. The switch and pots were acceptable, and it seemed to be wired correctly, but even after shielding the cavity and making sure it was wired like the guitarnuts site said, it was still bad.

• Members

i also started with a gio ibanez (GAX70) and a cube 30... the problem is certainly not the amp however the Rfier setting is the highest gain/most distorted and hence most sensitive to pickup hum... if the hum is too much u can turn down the gain, try using both pickups (middle setting on the switch), and make sure u turn off tv, computer or at least stand further away from them

it shouldnt get in the way of your learning but if it does upgrade the pups... i was quite happy using the Cube amps at home so i got myself the Cube 60 and still use it today - tho i get my overdrive tones from a pedal now :p

Archived