Samick/ Greg Bennet Guitars. Any good?

chimi

• Members

So i'm looking at this Samick/ Greg Bennett strat on ebay. It's an MB3 which stands for malibu i guess. It's burgundy with 3 single coils. I was wondering what the consensus was around here about these guitars. Comprable to Sx or Jay Turser?

• Members

So i'm looking at this Samick/ Greg Bennett strat on ebay. It's an MB3 which stands for malibu i guess. It's burgundy with 3 single coils. I was wondering what the consensus was around here about these guitars. Comprable to Sx or Jay Turser?

Samicks are at least decent in general, and most of the Greg Bennett line are very good.

The MBs are good bang for the buck, and I would probably go with Samick>Turser>SX - not by a whole lot, but...

I had a Greg Bennett Royale 2 semi-hollow, and out of the 20-25 or so guitars that have passed through my ownership, it is maybe one of three that I really regret letting go...:cry:

• Members

I have a Greg Bennett endorsement and have played dozens of them but I've never played any of the Malibu series. The two I really love are a Royale and a Rockwell (Explorer) but I've played several nice Avions and Ultramatics. The electronics and pickups in the Malibu may not be the best but that's a pretty easy fix especially if you get a slamming deal.

• Members

I just sold a Formula II which is a Tele with 2 3-1/2 inch Lipstick pups and a JB in the bridge. The Pick-Ups are all Duncan Designed on them. The guitar had great action, fret-work. For a couple hundred dollar guitar they are a lot of bang for the buck. Guitar Player also mentioned them in last months Feature Article of Best Electrics Under $500. Samick Gregg Bennett Series was given a Editors Pick Award. Appointments galore for an inexpensive electric. Grover Tuners, DD-Pups, Quilt Top {veneered}, Bound Top? As far as the Malibu It has the same neck as the Formula which is a Bolt-On. Interesting thing about the necks are the playing surface is a High Gloss while the back of the neck is Satin. The headstock sort of resembles PRS's and is 3 to a side tuners which is Odd for Tele and Strat style guitars but non the less works Fine! The headstock is also straight string pull! Like I said there's a lot of bang for the buck. Depends what your paying.......I seen the Malibu's go for under $100. bucks!

• Members

See...I don't know too much about them. I had a FEW come in my shop from 97 on. I sold ALL of them. I REGRET selling ONE. I had a Strat copy by SAMICK with a Natural, BOUND body. It played great. The pick-ups and electronics were {censored} though. I pulled all of that and dropped Two telecaster Lipstick pups I had lying around in. One came out of a HWY-1 Telecaster Neck, the other was a Alnico II Pro neck by Seymour Duncan. In the bridge I dropped a LIL-59 by Seymour Duncan. I also dropped a set of HWY-1 Tuning Machine's in/Bone Nut and of course the pots switch etc etc.. The Strat {censored}ING..........RAWKED and looked GREAT! I was offered a STUPID price for it and foolishly sold it on the spot! I don't even have a photo of it...............Just a MEMORY! But beside that ONE Samick I didn't run across many I liked. UNTILL the Gregg Bennett Series popped up..............they are VERY CONSISTANT with QC as far as I can tell and from what I've personally seen!

• Members

I've got a Formula 2, pretty much like tlbonehead's. And I'd use the same words to describe it..."very decent." However, I can imagine myself selling it someday...it's just not my cuppa.

That being said, I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Samick, as long as you pick them up cheap.

I want to hazard a guess that most of the multitude of brands of Asian guitars we have been over the last 20 years, have actually been produced in the Samick factories anyhow. I suspect the are the #1 producers of guitars in the world, volumewise.

So, yes, their top of the line series, the Greg Bennett stuff (whoever he is) is pretty decent.

• Members

mb3 is the discontinued korean version, which has true alder body and duncan designed pups compared to the more popular mb1 (nato body/generic pups/indonesian made)

i do have an avion 3 which i dropped sd59s in it.

hope that helps

edit: the mb3 have the wilkinson vs50k twin pivot bridge as well

Archived