Silvertone SG question..

kadrocker

• Members

I want an SG, but don't need to spend the money for a Gibson. I just want a copy. Whatcha think of the Silvertone SG (see link) Or should I just spend a few extra bucks and buy an Epiphone G-400. The name on the headstock doesn't mean a thing to me, but if the Epiphone is built slightly better, I'll get it. (I've got a Silvertone strat copy that I'd compare to my Fender, so I have no beef with Silvertone) Thanks..

http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVERTONE-ROCKIT-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ130118729366QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Burningleaves- I kinda edited my whole message while you posted your reply, sorry lol.

I see that..:eek::)

Well in response to your new question...if you really want an SG tone on the cheap then save up and buy a used Faded. If on the other hand the shape is all your after then get the cheapest you can find that looks like one and plays the way you like. The Epiphone G-310 is pretty cheap and has a nice SG body shape to it. They go for like $200 new from Musicians Friend.

• Members

I would get the Epiphone SG Faded or Vintage model. It is a G 400 and every one I have tried I liked. The neck is really nice and they sound good. you can get them often for 299.00 sometimes less if used.

• Members

Hmm, yeah...I was at the store last week and saw a used faded brown for $325. Thats a decent price, don't ya think? Though it did have an inch long scratch on the front. Maybe I'll check it out this evening.

$325 for a used Gibson SG Faded is pretty cheap (imo). If it is not to beat up and has no breaks, etc then it might be your best bet in the long run. You will get the SG tone and look for not alot of cash.

• Members

I had one of those Silvertone SG copies. I bought it for $50 from Music123 about a month ago. They still have "open box" ones for $99 with free shipping.

http://www.music123.com/Silvertone-SRK1-Silvertone-Rockit-----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Open-Box)-i697846.music

I've seen awful reviews on them, but the one I got was actually decent. The pickups were OK. The neck was comfortable. It is a bolt-on neck though, so it sort of kills one of the reasons for buying an SG which is the upper fret access.

I would say go for an Epiphone G-400. They're $299 new at Music123:

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-SG-G-400-Electric-Guitar-i29860.music

• Members

I think I'll be getting a Jay instead of an Epiphone. Those things look sweet. Ohhhh- now I want a 12 string too!
:D
my wife is gonna kill me.....it's all Funderbunks fault.

I've always said, if there's one thing I do better than spending my own money, is helping other people spend theirs! :D

Archived