jrkirkish

• Members

Character map FTW.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you guys play 3/4 scale guitars (around a 22.5 inch scale length). As you know, my :love: guitar is a 3/4 scale Swinger. I love it. It's really not that hard to play, once you get used to it.

And I saw this on the 'bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Gibson-Melody-Maker-Near-mint-w-orig-allig-case_W0QQitemZ290132583590

02P1010699.jpg

I lust after it. Single pickup 3/4 scale guitars are my thing, I guess. :cool:

• Members

i have one with a 22.5 scale and i love it.

its called the "palladium", and its a ZZ ryder guitar. i initially got it for my niece, but i fell in love with it and bought it from her!

its got a steel p[late/mass on back of headstock, a zero-fret, a bucker and then a neck single. nice medium tall/wide frets.

what gets me is the quality. stock its above any low to mid priced epi or squire ive ever encountered, nicely polished frets, solid feel and it plays so sweetly. i keep 11s on it in standard.

the bridge pickup rocks so hard, neck is just OK. ill swap it out one day. but its my main "heavy music" guitar.

the neck feels normal, its not cramped or crowded at all, but the body is small and the scale is 22.5

anyway, ill try and find a pick on the net. i bet if more folks knew about these or tried out a few they would be the next "rondo/agile". alot of bang for the buck, sustains forever and its rare that a stock guitar under $600 needs NO MODS or tweaks other than a neck pickup swap

• Members

heres a link to the one i mentioned

Do you tune it to standard tuning, or do you have to tune it up? If standard, what gauge strings do you use on it? How's the intonation? I had a "Pee Wee LP" and it was impossible to intonate in standard tuning or tuned up a minor 3rd as the manual suggested).

That zz ryder looks pretty cool....

• Members

Here's a few shots of my Duo Sonic. It's a cute little 22.5' scale thing and the pups sound really nice but I found it uncomfortable to play. I thought I would really dig it due to my smallish hands but it was difficult to fret open position chords given the scale. It did sound good though playing some nice warm bluesy tunes. These Duo Sonics were made with pretty crappy hardware as well, especially the tuners, so constant tuning was necessary.

Guitar004-1.jpg

Guitar005-1.jpg

Guitar003-2.jpg

• Members

Hi DRPool, I fixed all the tuning issues.I added a string tree, filed and lubed the nut. I honed out the stock peg holes to fit this set of closed gear Jacksons I had. I plugged the screw holes with round toothpicks and a little wood glue, cut them flush, and drilled new holes. Holds tune great now, Thanks, it's a fun guitar.

squire032.jpg' alt='>'>

squire033.jpg' alt='>'>

squire031.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I've got an SX 3/4 Strat, 24" scale. Fun to play, although with a 1 1/2" nut width it gets a little tight. I've since swapped out the chrome string trees for graphite and filed the nut. It stays in tune a lot better.

IMG_41912.jpg

IMG_42052.jpg

• Members

Broncos are short, right? My friend had one YEARS ago, and we just left it out to grab and noodle on. Good for writing on.

I have a PeeWee but you don't really play it. You just kinda make neat noises with it. Everything is in A :D

PEEWEE1.jpg

• Members

Broncos are short, right? My friend had one YEARS ago, and we just left it out to grab and noodle on. Good for writing on.

I have a PeeWee but you don't really play it. You just kinda make neat noises with it.
Everything
is in A
:D

PEEWEE1.jpg

I've always wanted the mini-v.

• Members

I bought my kid a mini squier strat and it was a pain in the ass to tune until I bought supra light strings (fenders) and kept it in a properly humidified room.

{censored}, I really need to spend more time worrying about mortgages and my job toher than my kids $99 gitfiddle.

• Members

Do you tune it to standard tuning, or do you have to tune it up? If standard, what gauge strings do you use on it? How's the intonation? I had a "Pee Wee LP" and it was impossible to intonate in standard tuning or tuned up a minor 3rd as the manual suggested).

That zz ryder looks pretty cool....

when I got it for my niece (she loves slide) I tuned it to open E but up a few steps (closer to open F#).

but the more i played it the more i loved it so i bought it. with 10s standard it was too slinky, 11s work just fine. i do stretch the strings again and again to make sure theres no play, and it holds tune very well. I play with alot of bending and such, i am 31 this year and started when I was 11, just to give you an idea of how many guitars ive been through. my main guitars are strats (deluxes) for the most part, but i always keep buckers around for the need. i also keep other guitars around for different tunings and slide.

for what its worth - i have not found a stock epi or fender under $500-$600 that is built as solid as this. the sustain is crazy and im betting the mass on back of headstock plays a part. the bridge is really sweet for metal, but like mentioned the neck pup is the only weak spot. its just not a good match.

anyway, i do bend alot and it holds tune very well. i am disabled from 2 serious accidents (20+ foot fall off cliff burst fracturing my L3 vertebra low in back and broke wrist in 3 places - then 2 years later got in a severe auto accident that re-injured same vertebra and broke lotsa other bones like skull, collarbone/ribs/etc.)

so a lightweight guitar really appeals to me. I take some seriously strong pain meds (much moreso than say vicodan or lortabs) and ive had to do so for 10 years now. i play mostly sitting down but even so a light guitar makes things much easier.

so when i saw it in the store i knew if the niece didnt take to it that i could take it off her hands one day. but before picking it up i was really expecting a toy with pickups! that was also the inspiration for the open tuned slide thing (no fretting to worry about). but after picking it up i realized it could fill a need of mine being lightweight and solidbody buckers for rockin. not just that but it needed no mods/tweaks and thats a big plus.

i dont mind throwing in new pups, springing for a fret level/crowning, a new nut.....whatever. but this one doesnt need all that and its damn solid

• Members

Is there an advantage to 3/4 scale? Does it take much getting used to? How different is the sound? Can you, as you might logically devise, play faster? Other generic expected but as of yet in this thread unasked question?

the feel of the neck is a little more crowded than say fender/gibson - but not so much it feels awkward. i have average size hands though, not huge

the sound seems a little darker to me, and that makes sense as the longer scale of strats has that extra sparkle/snap because of the tension. when you tune it up higher the darkness seems to lessen as well, but i keep it in standard with 11s

as far as playing faster mine has mediumjumbo tall frets and a rather flattish radius - so fast picking and shredding type licks do fall into place rather easily. but thats because of the neck dimensions and fretsize, the radius of neck and so-on, i dont think it has much at all to do with it being a shorter scaled neck. also, depending on the model you get the neck may or may not be as conducive to fast play. i have a good amount of stretch in my fingers from playing as long as i have, i can reach a good bit even on strats. on this though i can reach frets really far away and thats cool.

i think its big advantage is the light weight, as well as the smallish feel. it does not feel cramped, but the grips are easy because of the size so big hands may fumble around on one of these. also people are into tuning down alot nowdays- but being able to tune up is also a big plus. for new timbres recording or to aid in vocal chores its nice.

also, the zero fret really does seem to help overall intonation - the G string is not nearly as "naturally off" as with my stock strats/LPs

• Members

Is there an advantage to 3/4 scale? Does it take much getting used to? How different is the sound? Can you, as you might logically devise, play faster? Other generic expected but as of yet in this thread unasked question?

The shorter reach makes makes chording easier for some(Lennon,Fogerty)the sound is a little different.On a Rick 3/4 it is equivant to playing a 24 fret Rick capoed at the 3rd fret.

oger033_edited.jpg

• Members

I have a squier mini that I tune up to G. When I saw it in the store, it was tuned to E. I just tightened up the tuners until the tension felt right and it was close to G. I use it for a few bluesey songs we do in G so i can play licks as if they're in E. I think those snarly ceramic {censored}ty pickups sound ornery as hell. But it is a little noisy. Just a gag guitar. Glad I bought it, though.

Archived