Music Thief Confession

Matximus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what does it matter... its still a ridiculous amount of money per song

some lady from Minnesota ordered to pay 7.6 million dollars

I believe the maximum is $50,000 per song uploaded.

So to get a $7.6Mil fine, that's what... 152 distinct song uploads. No.. that's 152 distinct guilty counts. How many got tossed, I wonder? Is that case even real, or is it memorex playing in your head? I don't know.

What I do know is that when a law is made and people abuse it (like policiticans accepting gifts from corporations), EVEN THOUGH everyone is doing it.. guess what? Every once in a while, the god named "citizens" needs to be appeased with a human sacrafice...

IOW, some poor slob is going to pay dearly. Sucks to be her.

(but she did knowingly break the law!!!) :idea::cop:

• Members

I believe the maximum is $50,000 per song
uploaded

that should be 17USC504 (statutory damages) stuff

I think that's currently $750-$30,000 per work

but in the case of willful infringement it can go up to $150,000

I don't belive there is currently any differentiation in the statute as to nature of infringement (distribution or reproduction)- that would be more of a thing for the court to use in determining where in that range the stat damages should fall.

If you guys can cite the case, we can take a closer look fo shizzy to get a better idea of what the actual judgement was

(I think one problem is that people often tend to read news stories ABOUT cases and never get around to reading the actual decision)

• Members

I believe the maximum is $50,000 per song
uploaded

So to get a $7.6Mil fine, that's what... 152 distinct song uploads. No.. that's 152 distinct guilty counts. How many got tossed, I wonder? Is that case even real, or is it memorex playing in your head? I don't know.

What I do know is that when a law is made and people abuse it (like policiticans accepting gifts from corporations), EVEN THOUGH everyone is doing it.. guess what? Every once in a while, the god named "citizens" needs to be appeased with a human sacrafice...

IOW, some poor slob is going to pay dearly. Sucks to be her.

(but she did knowingly break the law!!!)
:idea::cop:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6534542.ece

• Members

OK, that's the Thomas-Rasset case

should be able to find relevant doc here

http://news.justia.com/cases/featured/minnesota/mndce/0:2006cv01497/82850/

it was abt $1.92 mil @ $80,000 per

as opposed to $7.8mil @ $50,000 per

(I remember that one more b/c Kiwi "racist Wunderkind" Camara was first chair on D

• Members

Interesting that a jury, not a judge, were the ones who landed the guilty plea... this lady must have been a piece of work lol..

Your attitude reminds me of her. You ignored that it's illegal, and are only even more emboldened becuase the law of averages doesn't dictate that you will get caught. You see zero risk and all reward.

Truth

Archived