So what does everybody think about the Washburn A20?

Prages

• Members

458273.jpg

It's not my style at all, but I ask because there is one in a local shop...an original, not a reissue, made in 1981 I believe. The thing is in excellent condition. It's black, not a flame top. I've looked at it a few times and there's not a mark on it. You'd swear it was a brand new guitar.

It's ridiculously cheap too, I think. Those were made in the USA back then, were they not?

Here's the one in the local store:

WashburnA20.jpg

Doesn't come with a case or gig bag though.

What do you guys think that might be worth?

• Members

You could check eBay for some price comparisons on older A20's.

I'm not sure if they were US made or not. I bought an A5V (Japanese bolt-on version with a funky Gotoh trem bridge) in the mid '80s and still play it. It's a nice guitar.

Ebay's blocked at work, and I never can remember to check stuff out when I'm at home.

This one is either a set neck or a neck through. It has the hardtail bridge, the brass ring inlays, and it plays really well. I kind of think this guitar may have been sitting in somebody's closet for the last 26 years.

• Members

458273.jpg

It's not my style at all, but I ask because there is one in a local shop...an original, not a reissue, made in 1981 I believe. The thing is in excellent condition. It's black, not a flame top. I've looked at it a few times and there's not a mark on it. You'd swear it was a brand new guitar.

It's ridiculously cheap too, I think. Those were made in the USA back then, were they not?

Here's the one in the local store:

WashburnA20.jpg

Doesn't come with a case or gig bag though.

What do you guys think that might be worth?

That's not an A-20 it is one of the lower models, they ranged from the A-5 to the A-20. The A-20 generally had binding a set neck and the round brass inlays like on the re-issue you have pictured.

• Members

That's not an A-20 it is one of the lower models, they ranged from the A-5 to the A-20. The A-20 generally had binding a set neck and the round brass inlays like on the re-issue you have pictured.

This one has a set neck and the brass inlays, just no binding.

The store has it labelled as an A20, but then I've seen a '1965 Les Paul Standard' there before, so it's entirely possible they've got it labeled wrong. :D

• Members

I have an original A20 as well as an A15. Both have bound necks, but they did make quite a few variations on the theme, so that *might* be a genuine A20. The A15 has a set neck and the lower versions were bolt on - only A20s had through necks AFAIK. It should say A20 on the truss rod cover if that's what it is.

If the guitar is in truly great condition then see if you can negotiate a little if the lack of binding bothers you. But yes, I saw an A20 in the US go for >$300 on fleabay this week.

WashburnA20.jpg

WashburnA15.jpg

Archived