Difference between Edwards finishes?

Timmott

• Members

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an Edwards and I have a couple of questions concerning their Lacquer Top line. Whats the difference between the Lacquer top and their regular Poly finished line? Does the Lacquer top yield more resonance or a different sound or something? Also I've heard that only the top of the guitar is actually finished in Lacquer and the rest is just poly. Is this true? If so it doesnt seem like enough of a difference to get the Lacquer Top model instead of the regular one. Any info on this is appreciated.

• Members

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an Edwards and I have a couple of questions concerning their Lacquer Top line. Whats the difference between the Lacquer top and their regular Poly finished line? Does the Lacquer top yield more resonance or a different sound or something? Also I've heard that only the top of the guitar is actually finished in Lacquer and the rest is just poly. Is this true? If so it doesnt seem like enough of a difference to get the Lacquer Top model instead of the regular one. Any info on this is appreciated.

The poly ones are all poly..

The Lacquer TASTE series are poly finished with a lacquer top coat (over the entire guitar, not just the top).

For what its worth, the Fender USA Vintage guitars are poly with Lacquer on top too.

• Members

Mr.Mow is correct re: the Lacquer Taste finish (poly base coat with lacquer/nitro over the top).

It's possible that the LT series might be SLIGHTLY more resonant than the all-poly models due to the fact that lacquer is a thinner and less acoustically 'smothering' finish than poly. That is of course assuming that the two layers of finish combined is the same thickness as an all-poly model.

The difference in resonance would be pretty minimal I'd imagine - even between an all-lacquer and all-poly finish on the same guitar it's hard to tell.

So you're pretty much left to aesthetics. I personally prefer the lacquer look myself, more of a semi-matte finish rather than the full gloss. It's of course nowhere near as durable as poly, so you'll get scratches and small dings with ease (extra character or pointless destruction?).

• Members

Ok thanks for the info guys! I kind of like the lacquer look more myself because of the "semi-matte" finish that grimpanda described. The only thing is getting used to that aged binding xD. Also is it just me or does the gold hardware on the Lacquer top model look matte finished as well? That might be a pain when changing pickups.

Archived