Squier '51 Nut Question

DaveGrima

• Members

I heard the guys over at GuitarFetish had a hard time just getting a "standard '51 cut" for the pickguard, I'd only imagine it'd be even worse trying to gauge a nut to fit perfectly. :freak:

Your best bet is just buying a nut and installing/cutting it yourself, it's not too hard of a task. :freak:

• Members

Right here, number 4750:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Tusq_Nuts.html

You will most likely need to sand a little off the edges and lower the slots properly. Even preslotted nuts are not intended to be drop in replacements, they just have starter slots to make things easier. If you don't know what you're doing, I would strongly suggest taking it to a tech or learning how to cut a nut properly. It's a great skill to have as a guitar player. :thu:

• Members

GraphTech PQ-5000-00 is the only Tusq nut that is a correct fit. You will have to sand a little off the edges.

As with everything else with the '51, it varies from guitar to guitar. I got the PQ-5000-00 and it was about .002 too narrow, so it was not a snug fit in the slot. :mad: I ended up getting an oversized blank and making one from scratch, using the original crappy plastic nut as a basic template.

• Members

You guys must be getting some wacky 51s. :freak: Thus far, I've done a total of six new nuts for Squier '51s, and they were all either Tusq or Graphtech and all were the preslotted jobs from Stew Mac I linked to, and they all had fine string spacing and just needed a little taken off the sides so they wouldn't stick out.

• Members

You guys must be getting some wacky 51s.
:freak:
Thus far, I've done a total of six new nuts for Squier '51s, and they were all either Tusq or Graphtech and all were the preslotted jobs from Stew Mac I linked to, and they all had fine string spacing and just needed a little taken off the sides so they wouldn't stick out.

Yes, I always use the Tusq ones and had no problem fitting one on my '51.

• Members

Yes, I always use the Tusq ones and had no problem fitting one on my '51.

The model I used PQ 5000 came straight from Graphtech because I'd bought one or two off Ebay from a dealer who recommended another size -- and neither one fit. So I emailed GraphTech. They were happy to send me a correct fit and said something about Ebay sellers degrading the integrity of their products by recommending parts that do not fit. Nice company, that GraphTech. In any event, could it be there are variations in the neck widths for the 51???

• Members

The model I used PQ 5000 came straight from Graphtech because I'd bought one or two off Ebay from a dealer who recommended another size -- and neither one fit. So I emailed GraphTech. They were happy to send me a correct fit and said something about Ebay sellers degrading the integrity of their products by recommending parts that do not fit. Nice company, that GraphTech.
In any event, could it be there are variations in the neck widths for the 51???

It could be, but I think it's much less likely than the variations in the bodies we see. The neck width is a pretty critical dimension. If the neck width is messed up it changes a lot of things that are critical to the function of the guitar: string width in relation to the fretboard edges, tuner placement and straight string pull, string tree position, neck slot routing and fit on the body, and fret work. I would think that even on the '51's the necks are probably cut on a CNC and would be pretty consistent.

But who knows? :idk:

Archived