Arrgh! Neck doesn't fit body...

blueshawk1

• Members

Nuts! I bought a new body and a new neck to make my own guitar and the neck doesn't fit the routing for in the body for the neck.

Now the question is, should I shave away the body or shave away the neck?

I'm thinking neck, but what do I know, I've never done this before. Is this common when trying to make a guitar?

The neck would need to be flattened on the bottom, and shaved on the sides to fit, if, it is the neck I should be trimming.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Nuts! I bought a new body and a new neck to make my own guitar and the neck doesn't fit the routing for in the body for the neck.

Now the question is, should I shave away the body or shave away the neck?

I'm thinking neck, but what do I know, I've never done this before. Is this common when trying to make a guitar?

The neck would need to be flattened on the bottom, and shaved on the sides to fit, if, it is the neck I should be trimming.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm, it all depends. Whats is the best quality and most expensive? What guitar is it?

But ultimately you'll need to open the neck pocket as the heel of the neck is the width of the end of the fretboard, so you'd have to taper the neck up, so the neck pocket should be the right answer:thu:

• Members

Is it a "no way in hell it will fit" or is just slightly larger?

If it's the latter try sanding the sides of the neck by hand.

A little of each side until it fits.

I had a Strat Plus neck that didn't seem to fit in either spare body that I had (one old, one new Warmoth). I finally got pissed and forced it. It's snug but it works.

the moral of the story was I was going to sand it.

• Members

I bet the pickguard looks good though!
;)

Hahaa, that pickguard I bought from you would look good, except this semi-hollow body has routing for a standard tele control plate, but I got a black one for it, same style without the long tail for the controls like on a regular tele thinline.

• Members

strat neck, tele body?

mmm.....I see problems ahead. square neck pocket....rounded strat neck.

I know I've seen teles with strat necks before - perhaps they had the neck made that way?

Nuts, if I have to buy another neck, guess this project will be going on hold for a while.

• Members

You can sand the strat neck and make it fit. Is that even needed? There shouldn't be any intonation problems. Since it is 22 fret, the last fret will overhang and cover the gap.

EDIT: My bad. That is 21 fret. I was counting in the wrong direction. There will be a gap.

• Moderators

Here's pics of the body and the neck;

f089_1.jpg

5dc0_1.jpg

OK, the obvious answer is definitely open out the neck pocket as you're gonna have to round out the end of the pocket anyway to make that rounded heel fit and although it "only" an SX neck, it's a pretty nice looking piece of figured wood, that been well finished. You'd be best advised to make a template up based on that neck heel and either whittle it out with a dremel or lick it with a router if you feel that confident. Just be sure to remove an equal amount on each side of the pocket, it's about a 10 min job to do but maybe make sure the measurements are good.

Alternatively sell that neck on and buy a decent Mighty Mite neck, they're going for around $80 at the moment

• Members

strat neck, tele body?

mmm.....I see problems ahead. square neck pocket....rounded strat neck.

A Strat neck will fit on a Tele body just fine. It'll just have gaps around the end of the heel since it's rounded. HOWEVER, a Tele neck will NOT fit a Strat neck pocket without either rounding out the heel of the neck or modifying the neck pocket.

You should be fine with that neck. DO NOT flatten out the the heel of the neck or modify the pocket to make it fit the pocket. That will make the neck too close to the bridge and your intonation will be off. :wave:

• Members

Don't ruin the neck pocket of that nice Tele body. You need another neck with a 2 3/16" heel. Otherwise sand that SX neck down to fit the pocket. Don't ruin that body.

I wouldn't do anything to the body, it is too nice to take a chance on ruining.

But according to the previous post, I'll mess up the intonation if I sand down that neck so it fits tight, and I'd want it to fit tight, otherwise it would look like crap with gaps around it, so more than likely, it looks like I will end up buying another neck for this project, and just save this one for another project down the road.

Archived