Thick necks vs. thin necks: Tone difference?

ReckedTrek

• Members

Hi,

I have a thick strat replacement neck (Warmoth fatback) coming that I'm getting for a very reasonable price. I've always played what I would call "medium" sized necks, like on a standard strat. It's a birds eye maple neck with a Rosewood compound radius fretboard which I'm going to put on a sunburst US Standard (alder) body. Other than the obvious different feel, do you think there will be a difference in tone at all? Fuller maybe, or brighter compared to a regular Fender neck w/ a rosewood board? Or is this just a stupid question?

Thanks,

David

• Members

For my own guitars I use Warmoth boatnecks eclusively I honestly feel that they contribute heavily to some very un Strat like sustain, especially this one:cool:

rear.jpg
Stratgoodness.jpg

She's my fat bitch and she cooks

Wow!! I'm not a huge "Strat" style fan. More the Hollow & Semi-Hollowbody type, but your strat is BEAUTIFUL. That simple, natural wood grain is just absolutely gorgeous. Congrats my man.

• Members

For my own guitars I use Warmoth boatnecks eclusively I honestly feel that they contribute heavily to some very un Strat like sustain, especially this one:cool:

rear.jpg
Stratgoodness.jpg

jees that is the hottest strat ive ever seen serious that thing is the sex man!

:thu::eek::thu:

• Members

Hi,

I have a thick strat replacement neck (Warmoth fatback) coming that I'm getting for a very reasonable price. I've always played what I would call "medium" sized necks, like on a standard strat. It's a birds eye maple neck with a Rosewood compound radius fretboard which I'm going to put on a sunburst US Standard (alder) body. Other than the obvious different feel, do you think there will be a difference in tone at all? Fuller maybe, or brighter compared to a regular Fender neck w/ a rosewood board? Or is this just a stupid question?

Thanks,

David

A guitar is the sum of it's parts, but generally speaking I think a fat neck that has alot of resonation can make a noticable dif' in a guitars tone, sustain, volume, etc.

As far as a night and day dif' compared to the original neck on the guitar I have no idea. The original neck might end up just being a better neck all the way around compared to the new one.

• Members

Stratgoodness.jpg

what pickups are in that one?

Also, is that an aluminum bridge? If it is, replace it with a stainless steel bridge and you'll greatly increase sustain.

• Members

My Les Paul Classic with it's thinner neck has noticeably less sustain than a Standard with a thicker neck that I used to have. It's a trade off I don't mind making though,since the thinner neck is just so much more comfortable for me.

• Members

Notionally, a thicker neck adds more mass to the instrument which (all else being equal) can add a tad more sustain and tonal density. But the distinction isn't cost-effective when weighed against the more basic imperative of having a neck which feels nice and comfy in your hand. If you can't get on with the feel of a neck, its effect on the tone of your guitar is purely academic.

• Members

The old neck on the guitar had problems with the truss rod, and is no longer usable as a a neck... maybe as a "band discussion influence tool" IE club. The neck is here now, and i'm putting it on tomorrow. Without being attached and without strings, it's (duh!) a bit bigger than I'm used to, but it's not all that uncomfortable. The only place that feels a little strange is around frets 1-5, where it just seems really big, as alot of necks taper slightlly there. If I can get used to that, I might have a winner here. Also, I'm kind of digging (from what I can tell) the compound radius feel. Pretty sweet!

• Members

How I'm thinking a neck could effect tone is just like they say that tone is in one's fingers....So you move your fingers differently on thinner and fatter necks therefore making different tones.

Just a note,...I have no clue if that made any sense because I'm drunk....However it's making perfect sense in my head.

• Members

VVG Strat sized P90s and if you didnt recognise a Wilkinson/Gotoh VS100, then maybe you need to swat up a tad more?
:D
It is steel

My mistake, I had a Wilkinson a long time ago that was aluminum, it looked just like that one. I thought their SS bridges had a different design.

Sweet axe BTW. :phil:

Archived