MIA Peavey Predator Truss Rod Question

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Hmm so I scored another Pred for $50.. thanks to the tounge lashing I got for even hesitating on that deal. I'll post the ngd thread later. The neck is completely straight and has no relief. I took off the Truss rod cover, and looked and saw a nut around the rod instead of the usual allen wrench type deal I usually see in strats. What should I use to turn it? I don't have the socket wrench thing that comes with the guitar. Or do I have to do something with that "neck tilt" feature it has as well?

• Members

i'm not sure i can get it in there with a straight nut driver. the truss rod pocket is curved downwards but the actual nut is deep inside and parallel to the neck (poor engineering peavey :p). I don't think the nut can go into the nut driver if it's straight. there is also very little space between the neck and the bottom of the nut so i'm not really sure what would fit in that tiny space.

here's a rough sketch of my problem, hope you can understand it

jpg.jpg

• Members

It's the same on my old T-60. You can get a socket in there, and then kind of angle a screwdriver-type socket driver in there enough to turn the nut a little. Be careful, it would be easy to chip some wood from that area.

Whoopysnorp has a better idea of just getting the proper tool.:thu:

Are you sure the neck needs relief? You say it is perfectly straight now, some guitars set up better with a straight neck. Also, heavier guage strings will add some relief-do you have the guage strings on there that you plan on using? Just some things to consider before you start in on the truss rod.

• Members

It's the same on my old T-60. You can get a socket in there, and then kind of angle a screwdriver-type socket driver in there enough to turn the nut a little. Be careful, it would be easy to chip some wood from that area.

Whoopysnorp has a better idea of just getting the proper tool.
:thu:

Are you sure the neck needs relief? You say it is perfectly straight now, some guitars set up better with a straight neck. Also, heavier guage strings will add some relief-do you have the guage strings on there that you plan on using? Just some things to consider before you start in on the truss rod.

I guess I'll try and find a nut driver thing that will fit and hopefully I can do it... unless there's a place that sells cheap L shaped socket drivers

Yeah it has 9's on there right now, which is what I'm planning on using. The guy actually said it was stored without the A string for 2 years.. maybe the lack of tension made it bend backwards a little bit?

Strings are dead until the twelfth fret or so I think. If you press down from the last fret and first fret, there's barely any clearance.. It looks straight looking down from the bridge. But aren't necks supposed to be an eensy bit bowed to have some relief?

Archived