Advantages of short scale guitar?

kpmnc24

• Members

So far I have only played Fenders and other guitars with a 25 1/2 inch scale. I tried an Epiphone the other day and it seemed really nice.

What are the main differences in a shorter scale guitar? (24 3/4) Are there any differences in sound? I read somewhere it is easier to play but I'm not sure why.

• Members

For people with smallish hands, a short scale can be more comfortable. The stereotype is that Fender-scale guitars are a little cleaner sounding, for lack of a better term, while shorter-scale guitars sound a bit "dirtier," again for lack of a better term.

Myself, I think it depends more on the player, the amp, the effects and other stuff.

• Members

from the simple fact that you don't have to reach as far... but seriously, it's only 3/4 of an inch difference.

I think neck profile makes more of a difference in feel.

I've got guitars in both scales, and I don't really notice anything when switching from one to the other...

I'd agree that neck profile is a bigger issue for small hands. And neck width. I keep looking for a short scale guitar with a small neck profile and short neck width!

• Members

I assume guitars with 21 frets instead of 22 have frets that are farther apart? (since the 21 have to cover the same distance as 22)

I can't imagine 3/4 of an inch makes that much difference in how far apart the frets are - that's around 0.03 inch per fret. But maybe it does to some people.

• Members

I assume guitars with 21 frets instead of 22 have frets that are farther apart? (since the 21 have to cover the same distance as 22)

makes no difference. the distance between frets depends 100% only on the scale length. 22 fret necks just go on longer

• Members

I can't imagine 3/4 of an inch makes that much difference in how far apart the frets are - that's around 0.03 inch per fret. But maybe it does to some people.

On the open chord frets, it can be a bit easier to reach with a shorter scale. As you go down the fretboard, you can't tell much difference.

You see a lot of women guitarists using shorter-scale guitars. Daisy Rock guitars are all 24.75.

• Members

If you hold the guitar in a classical guitar style (with the body of the guitar sitting on the left leg for a right handed guitar player) the 3/4 of an inch reach can make a difference. Especially if playing a song that is primarily open chords.

• Members

I'd agree that neck profile is a bigger issue for small hands. And neck width. I keep looking for a short scale guitar with a small neck profile and short neck width!

hehehehe I'm 6'1" and abit bigger than the average Joe, so I don't have any problems... :D

Although I play whichever guitar gives me the tone I need for a particular song, I find my Strat the most comfortable to play.

• Members

I spent years playing a shorter scale Jackson Fusion, and have moved to longer scale guitars.

Playing-wise, there's not too much difference. I play pretty fast guitars anyway, and I'd say that neck profile has more of an effect on playing. Stretches are slightly easier, but it's marginal. FWIW I'm over 6ft and am quite lanky with small hands but longish fingers....

Tonally, shorter scales seem to have more biting mids. My old Fusion could cut through anything...

• Members

i went to a death metal concert two nights ago, and one of the bands 'INTESTINAL STRANGULATION' (awesome name, eh?), anyway, the guitarist played a dean mini v. super short scale.

basically, it gets easier to play, because everything is so much closer. its like when a beginner guitarist steps it up and doesn't leave the guitar hanging by the knees, and gets it up on the gut so you can actually see what you're doing. this is different, but difr'nt strokes!

• Members

All other things being equal (which admittedly they seldom are), a shorter scale length will have slightly less tension in the strings, which can make string bending a little easier.

The 24.75" scale length is a little sweeter sounding than the longer scales, and can be unpredictable, offering little surprises from time to time, like when bending notes. The 25.5" scale has better note definition/separation, is a little louder and more powerful, a feature that is most noticeable on chords. For my tastes the strat is the ulitimate rhythm guitar, while the Les Paul produces the best lead tones. The 25" scale is a nice comprise between the two standard scales.

Archived