Do you recommend richwood???

kevinsaturday

• Members

Largely, no, but only because they are mainly available through ebay in the UK.

I haven't tried one.:)

Play any guitar that you want to buy before buying it, if you can play one and find you like it, buy it.

As an alternative, some of the Vintage V100 Les Paul copies are good guitars and can be played in a lot of local stores.

• Members

I have a Richwood explorer - the quality is not bad at all, the only thing that needs to be changed are the pickups (really quite bad...). The advantage of a Richwood over the Epi is the fast that the Richwood Les Paul will be made out of the correct tonewoods (mahogany/maple) unlike the Epi, which is pot-luck!

I say, if you like the look of it and are in a position to change out the pickups, then go for it!

Of course, you might want to get a 2nd hand Korean Tokai Les Paul as they show up regularly on Ebay at very comparable prices to the Richwoods, and will be better quality with good pickups, etc...

Good luck!:thu:

• Members

i was just wondering if you guys would recommend the richwood re-125 les paul copy?

Answer: No. Never heard of it, and that's a bad thing.

Recommendations: Agile or Epiphone, for LP look-alikes. Very good quality with either, materials and fit and finish are fine. That puts you in the $300-$600 range, roughly (do the $/

• Members

tried a lot of epis, none of them really did it for me, the richwood really felt and sounded good, the pickups were not nearly as bad as ive heard, they sounded better than some recent gibsons ive played, i just need advice on the reliability, any ideas?

• Members

Will the Americans STOP suggesting Agile or other guits only easily available in US? He's in Scotland fer crying out loud... shipping an Agile from US to UK isn't the best of ideas on a good day. it's just dumb on normal days...

(grabs flamesuit)

:p

• Members

^^^Nono you're absolutaly right, it really does {censored} me off when you get people suggesting agiles to non-US residents.. It's ignorant and annoying and FRUSTRATING.

Hey, GuitarNed probably just didn't check the location quoted in your ID box. Negligent but not criminal, so calm down, guy.

Note to US HCers: Agile, Xaviere, Jay Turser and SX are just names to us because these instruments aren't distributed over here in the UK, so the only reason we even know they exist is because you guys keep talking about them. On the other hand, you folks don't have Vintage, which -- thanks to Trev Wilkinson's design work -- is the cult cheapie in our little corner of the world. Just put it down to cultural differences.

By the way, who's Ed Roman?

• Members

Richwood: I've seen the Strats, really nice for the money. Could be a great basis for a project - cheap way of getting a nice neck /body for a Frankenstrat. I've not played the Pauls. I have no reason to doubt they're nice, but I'd be reluctant to sink

• Members

Hi,

I have a Richwood RE-125 (Les Paul model).

I bought it secondhand, the previous owner putted GFS P90s and a Bigsby tremolo system on it. I have heard the original humbuckers aren't that great but who cares anyway! It's quite a cheap guitar, but very good for the price.

Mine plays and sound really nice, I played on several Epiphone's but this one is as nice or even better, but remember, for half the price! Says enough I guess!

The funny thing is, that Gibson didn't accept the selling of these Richwood Les Paul copies, they eventually went to court with it so these Richwoods aren't produced any more ;)

Oh... I paid

• Members

FWIW, Gibson made them shut down their page last christmas. Had an apology to them on it and stated that they would remove a couple of products from their catalog. AFAIK they called a few of their LP clones Les Pauls...

And their strat clones also had the Fender headstock for a while (just like the original SX counterpart).

001.png

004.png

More pics:

http://www.arkay.de/guitars/richwood/index.html

Nice strat clone. :) Sometimes you can find them on eBay Germany with a Fender decal on it, but usually not for long. :D

Archived