Westone guitar appreciation thread

• Members

Hello people!!

I've been playing guitar since 1967 and have a dozen or so electric guitars at home (Agile, Ibanez, Squire, Teisco, Washburn, Decca, Norma, Kay, etc.) but the one I reach for 95% of the time is my 1986, MIJ, Westone Spectrum ST.

Maybe it's the hard maple body?

Maybe it's the Magnaflux HB pickups?

Whatever it is, whatever combination it has....just seems to push MY buttons!?

As John Hiatt sang in "Riding With The King"......."I'll play that thing 'till the day I die!!"

Any other Westone fans out there!? (sure there is)

Steve :thu::wave:

• Members

Well, I don't own a Westone but I have an '70s Electra, half-sister to a Westone. I haven't played my Gibson, Fender or Rics since I got it a few months ago. I never knew it could be this good. :)

• Members

My mij Westone Spectrum ST. I don't know why they are so cheap. I would rather drop $100 on one of these then a squire anyday. It's at least a $3-400 guitar I would say they are one of the best values out there. I play the hell out of this one and it has never let me down.

273903307.jpg

• Members
  • Members

xtchc1978:

My Westone Spectrum ST is just you basic black guitar.

The Westone Spectrum ST had probably the highest production run of any Westone guitar.

That would explain why they are more common....and cheaper....than other Westone models.

But you are dead on as being absolute killer guitars for the money!

My daughter and her guitar playing posse favor lower-end Ibanez guitars (GAX models specifically).

For LESS money, the Westone smokes the Ibanez's badly!!

Steve

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I recently purchased a 1985 (Matsumoku) Westone Spectrum LX. To say I'm delighted with it is an understatement. Build quality, playability and sound are all top of the line. The noises I've been able squeeze from the HSH configuration with coil splits and phase switches on the pull pots are remarkable. The Floyd type locking trem works well. All in all, the best guitar I've owned in over 50 years of playing :)

Archived