Video of my NAMM live act now online!

Anderton

• Members
Originally posted by Kevin_FL

My God! Am I the only one that see's the King has no clothes? This is everything that is wrong with music. A guy in his 50's playing Rave loops on a lap top.

Frank Zappa is stabbing himself in the ears with a fork up there

This is mean spirited and not called for. If you don't like it, instead of attacking, how about you post your own video instead?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Also, 50+ year old people like playing music! Some even have sex and do other fun things!

YOU TELL THEM CRAIG !!! This 50+ geezer here would be honored to jam with you in Austin if the opportunity arises ! GEEZERS UNITE!!

Actually , at the age of 50, I may even break the world speed record for double bass drumming ,this summer.

So many of us , in the 50+ club, still have a lot of miles left ! Keep jammin Craig !

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com/ootw_drums.html

• Members

Thanks for the defense, but don't worry about it. Anyone who thinks a guy playing at a NAMM show can embody "everything that is wrong with music" has some serious drama queen issues. Music can be serious, music can be fun. The kind of act that I did at NAMM isn't just about making cool sounds but also about having fun, and I certainly did :) :). Man, just think what he would have said if there had been enough time to include the part with the harmonica playing!

I think producer Ron Frangipane summed up my musical abilities best. It was during a session in the 1970s and I had a Rickenbacker 10-string (I removed the top two strings so I could bend them) patched into a Leslie and was doing feedback melody lines. He sort of looked at me and said "Craig, either you're the worst guitarist I've ever heard or the best."

I feel the same way most of the time :)

• Members

Hi Craig.

That was pretty cool. I especially liked the guitar solo. And you're singing!

Though, admitedly, a 24-year-old blonde girl with mammoth breasts might have been more entertaining :). I keed, I keed.

You were having fun and it showed. That's entertaining in itself. As to the whole having to be a certain age or have a certain look; that's just plain BS. If anything I think those stereo types keep some great music from being heard.

I'm glad you are unpretentious enough (and perhaps brave enough) to not care about such superficialities.

The song you were making was really good too.

A cd would be a great idea. We need some fresh music out there (I'd buy one).

As a sort of 1manband myself, I can relate. My next show will be with a laptop, emu 1616m, and Reason 3 using the new ASIO4ALL which includes audio in for Reason!

I'll also have a great female singer, back up singer and a bassists, (I'll be on electronic drums, Reason) so not really a 1manband anymore.

Not to take away from 1manbands, But,
I've found that a 'band' is just more entertaining from a visual point of view.

• Members

I really dug it, Craig. I've only finally had a chance to watch. As someone who, myself, performs on occasion with backing tracks...people who doubt the "performance" quality of such a thing aren't taking into consideration the amount of preparation that goes into something like that.

And here's something else...if you play in a band, arguably, your individual performance level is on par with the amount of energy expended doing what you're doing. In other words... You can't do everything. If you're a guitar player and lead singer, you can't sing backups, play bass, keys, drums too...unless some of it is pre-sequenced or recorded.

Art is art.

And thumbs up for anyone who is rock and rolling, or technoing, or whatever at any age. And you kids that disagree, come over closer and I'll whap you with my cane and take out my teeth and bite you with 'em...maybe even run you over with my "Hoverround". :D

Now...I would say...(constructive criticism mode, don't read any further if you don't want.)

I'm not one to talk...my own "stage image" sucks. That said...a couple of Molly's (my lead singer) gay guy friends are planning to do a "Queer Eye" makeover on this old shaggy straight guy. I need it and welcome it.

queer_eye_d.jpg

But...

My one criticism is that you look like a high school science teacher :). Nothing wrong with that, if you're a high school science teacher.

From watching your video...I would trade the clear specs for something a bit shady (those light adjusting ones or something with a little tint). I would lose the full beard, sport something along the lines of perhaps a very short goatee...and gain a Phil O'Keefe (or only very, very slightly longer) haircut. I'd slap on a casual sportcoat, sorta like what this guy wears...

Eric_Clapton.gif

Clapton somehow manages to look hip without looking like he's trying to look young. I think if I were going to pick an image for me...that would be pretty much it.

Please forgive me if I've offended. That was not my intent. We all dig ya, Craig...

• Members

I'll letcha know. But they are here in Kansas City. Probably find some "grooming aesthetic engineers" in your area, probably in the more Bohemian areas of town. And if you have any female friends that are in any way associated with anything artsy or theatrical, they will certainly know these types.

I need it really bad too. I look like an old prospector right now that just came down off being on a mountain all winter long. Not too conducive to furthering my musical ambitions...:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Craig,

I have been reading your articles and books for many years and was very excited to run across this video and your forum. It is really cool to acutally hear you rock out after just reading your work for these years!

Bravo!

Steve Greenberg
Scottsdale, AZ