p90 mounting adapters

ComingApart

• Members

I lot of builders, like Fralin, have tried to shave down a real P-90 to fit with unsuccessful results. Most Gibson HB routes would have to be modified as well, you would have to increase the rout where the HB tabs drop into (Fender HB routes are larger since they don't require places for a mounting ring to screw into).

So, i guessing the product either never existed and never made it to market.

• Members

Soapbars are exactly as wide as a conventional humbucker route.

Even if need be, you can remove a bit of material that will still be covered by standard humbucker mounting rings.

Soapbars are a bit wider than a standard humbucker.

If your routes are standard humbucker size, you will need to enlarge your routes to accommodate a soapbar pickup.

• Members

If your routes are standard humbucker size, you will need to enlarge your routes to accommodate a soapbar pickup.

+1

I have a P90 cover and a humbucker mounting ring in front of me right now.

The P90 is about 1/2" wider than a humbucker but the humbucker mounting ring is about 1/8" wider than the P90.

• Members

I realize soapbars are wider.

I do know for a fact though, as i'm looking at it right now, that the pickup mounting holes in my Washburn hollowbody are the perfect size for these p90 i have in my hand. The width distance between the p90 and the humbucker is taken up by the humbucker mounting ring.

These pickups will physically fit in this guitar, I just need a way for them to mount and to cover up the space on either side.

I found this picture of the adapter, but no info about it.

distortion-1.jpg

• Members

I have a set of old P90's that I want to install in my Washburn JS6.

The guitar has humbuckers in it now.

Years ago I saw some adapter rings that allowed you to mount p90's in a humbucker rout, but I can't find any nowadays. Can anybody help me out?

I think you're probably thinking of the Les Paul Deluxe models that were routed for soapbars, but fitted with mini-humbuckers mounted in P-90 sized rings. To further confuse the issue, some of these had yet another outer ring that may or may not have been intended to hide sloppy routing. People tend to misremember & think that P-90s are interchangeable with minis or HBs via an adapter. This is incorrect. A traditional P-90 pup needs a P-90 rout.

• Members

I realize soapbars are wider.

I do know for a fact though, as i'm looking at it right now, that the pickup mounting holes in my Washburn hollowbody are the perfect size for these p90 i have in my hand. The width distance between the p90 and the humbucker is taken up by the humbucker mounting ring.

These pickups will physically fit in this guitar, I just need a way for them to mount and to cover up the space on either side.

distortion-1.jpg

I cant see the photo you posted.

But now i have feeling you are talking about a mini bucker opposed to a soapbar.

I wish i could see your photo, I might be able to help you better then.

• Members

distortion-1.jpg

That's not an adapter, that's a LP Deluxe style "goof-ring," a trim ring that runs around a P-90 rout, supposedly to hide a messy rout. It tacks into the guitar top, nothing more or less, it doesn't have anything to do with mounting the P-90. And that's not even close to being the same size as a full-size HB ring, nor will is successfully cover one.

Also, no one sells goof ring repros, they were considered a scar of shame from the Gibson Norlin years.

(wedgie beat me to it)

If all you need is a piece of trim to cover the rest of a HB rout, just get a pickguard blank and cut some.

• Members

Nevermind, it's not worth it.

ac1fx9.jpg

Yeah it is. Just my opinion but I've never heard an HB sized P90 that stood up to the real thing.

Yes, you need to make the pup route SLIGHTLY wider. No, you do not need an adapter, you can just use a regular HB pup ring. There will be a a small gap between the ring and the pup top and bottom but that can be fixed with a thin strip of neoprene.

Measure it out many, MANY times, you only get to cut the guitar ONCE. If you do it correctly, you will be able to go back to humbuckers anytime you want, you'll just need new set of rings. The picture is proof. As you can see, I did a shitty job on the bottom pup ring but all the wood cuts were sharp. You'll need a dremel, an exacto and a wood (wedge/cutter). I'm not sure what they're called.... looks like a sharp screwdriver you tap with a mallet.

Yes, it can be done but NOT for the meek of heart.:D

Archived