NGD - Cort Effector Explorer

dcindc

• Members

Arrived today. Tuned it up and it plays.

Condition is good with some scratches, particularly some trem arm swing type scratches, and switrls around the knobs. If it had no scratches it would look new! So that's much better than expected. This was my first Music Go Round purchase. It was well packed and came in a semi-hard case which I didn't know about! When I called the store they did an in-hand inspection, and I'm pleased with the whole deal.

How's it sound? Don't know, will plug it in later. Some of the effects don't work, but I'll be repairing that. No biggee to me, can fix it myself.

This is kindof a "toy" purchase, but it plays well, and that's really all that mattered to me.

Explorer GAS cured for $99!

EFF3.jpg

EFF1.jpg

EFF2.jpg

• Members

Played it. It's setup too low and buzzes some. Crappy bridge. Yes, Mr Cheapo found something not meeting his standards.

The Distortion sounds good. The rest is yucky. Maybe it's broke, the wah doesn't work at all. And I can't figure out how you would work wah on it anyway.

The phase button puts the pups out of phase which sounds better than most out of phase pups I've heard.

There is no pickup selector. WTF?

Surgery imminent.

• Members

A very good friend of mine had that exact same guitar years ago. He was a Metallica freak and particularly a Hetfield freak, so he just loved that thing.

Over time, he modified it to the extreme. He pulled the onboard effects and put a strip of wood inside the control cavity under the holes, then filled them with bondo. He also filled the entire tremolo cavity with bondo, and installed a tune-o-matic bridge after he repainted it (still black). Then he got some black pickups and pickup rings.

Eventually, he covered the entire thing in wood veneer for a natural look. Believe it or not, it actually looked kind of cool that way.

Of course, after all the bondo and such, it was the most dead sounding, non resonant guitar ever. Sounded like crap, and weighed a ton.

Ah, youth. Intrepid modifications without the benefit of experience.

Years later, he asked another friend of mine and I to make him a new body for it, using the original as a template. My other friend did most of it, then he and I painted it as well as the back of the neck and headstock a pearl white. The only thing left from the Cort these days is the neck, installed on this thing:

Explorer.jpg

Explorer2.jpg

Explorer3.jpg

Real EMG's too. After many years, my friend finally got his Hetfield machine. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived