Which low end semi hollow body should I get?

killerbeez

• Members

My new Oscar Schmidt OE30 arrived today in two pieces so that p.o.s. is going back. I've played the one above, the Washburn HB30 and Hb35's and the Epiphone Dot Studios...all seem to be pretty good. Are there any others that I should consider? Not looking to break the bank and know that on the bottom end, you'll compromise something (ie. probably need to upgrade somewhere). Would like to spend under $200 if possible. I'm leaning toward the epi dot studio right now, but the Washburns played very well also. Please weigh in!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My new Oscar Schmidt OE30 arrived today in two pieces so that p.o.s. is going back. I've played the one above, the Washburn HB30 and Hb35's and the Epiphone Dot Studios...all seem to be pretty good. Are there any others that I should consider? Not looking to break the bank and know that on the bottom end, you'll compromise something (ie. probably need to upgrade somewhere). Would like to spend under $200 if possible. I'm leaning toward the epi dot studio right now, but the Washburns played very well also. Please weigh in!

It's a POS becuase it was damaged in transit?

You're upset, I would be too. And I'm not saying that the OE30 is as good as an HB30, but at the price it's selling for now at MF it IS a good buy! I have one, the pups were too hot for me so I swapped them out, but I am quite happy with it! I just hope that you are not dissing it because you are disappointed in having to wait for a replacement. I think you owe it to yourself to let them send a replacement.

• Members

Used Ibanez AS50. They crop up occasionally on eBay, and when you can find them, they're ridiculously good for the money. Set-neck MIJ only, tho': the later Korean bolt-on models are rubbish.

• Members

It's a POS becuase it was damaged in transit?

You're upset, I would be too. And I'm not saying that the OE30 is as good as an HB30, but at the price it's selling for now at MF it IS a good buy! I have one, the pups were too hot for me so I swapped them out, but I am quite happy with it! I just hope that you are not dissing it because you are disappointed in having to wait for a replacement. I think you owe it to yourself to let them send a replacement.

Not so sure it was damaged in transit...not a mark on the box. WWBW did not offer a replacment as it was b-stock. The screws were ripped out of the neck and the bridge was in pieces. I've played one and liked it...that's why I bought one. With the Epi Dots at $199, just wondering if I should consider one of them instead. Nobody has an Artcore at clost to those prices.

• Members

Not so sure it was damaged in transit...not a mark on the box. WWBW did not offer a replacment as it was b-stock. The screws were ripped out of the neck and the bridge was in pieces. I've played one and liked it...that's why I bought one. With the Epi Dots at $199, just wondering if I should consider one of them instead. Nobody has an Artcore at clost to those prices.

Okay that's painful, you still should be able to get your money back. I would have bought this one... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=514013 unless I didn't like black (I do, although when I bought mine, I did get red, but it cost me $10 more :) ).

• Members

what about the peavey jf series, looks about the same prive as the dot anyone tried those, they any good?

I've got a VSB JF1-EX - every bit the equal of the other semi's discussed in this thread. Just an all around nice guitar. Seems they can be had on the 'bay for around $200. If the opportunity comes your way, I wouldn't dismiss it.

• Members

I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by every Dot I've picked up at local guitar stores. I found one that was pretty decent but some yutz had put a big ding in it and GC wasn't discounting it enough to make it worth it. Given your price range, the OE30 makes sense because you're gonna have to replace pickups at this price point to get anything that sounds really good. If you spend $200 on the guitar and then have to spend another $50-100 making it sound good, then you're in a different price range. The Artcores have the best build quality in the $200 to $250 range (although I have never seen a new HB30 to compare) but the pups sound like mud to me and would need to be replaced. I went with the cheap OE30 so I could make mods and stay under budget. I'm pretty happy with what I have. YMMV.

• Members

Given your price range, the OE30 makes sense because you're gonna have to replace pickups at this price point to get anything that sounds really good. If you spend $200 on the guitar and then have to spend another $50-100 making it sound good, then you're in a different price range.

+1

• Members

$149 is a deal for
these
. Set neck, Grover Tuners, Tone Pros bridge, coil split on the mini-hums. It's been so hard for me to not pull the trigger on a blue one.

492930.jpg

Good call. Those look mighty nice. Do the pups growl or do they chime?

• Members

Just got a Delta king, and a Xaviere XV500. Swapped the gold hardware and ugly keystone tuners to the Delta King, and the Grovers/Chrome hardware to the Xaviere. Put the gold covers on a pair of GFS '59s, did a set-up,and upgraded the tone caps. B.B.B.King (Budget Blues Boy) all the way. (although, a set of new strings and lower action, and the OE 30 was badass right out of the box). Mahogany centerblock-NOT maple as stated. Slightly smaller than standard neck. Nice weight.

DSC03412.jpg

The Xaviere also sports Seth Lover P.U., and Duraluminum Zemaitis type headplates, instead of the tonka lookin' stockers.

DSC03413.jpg

Like a broke-assed version of this...

GZ-3300WF_HB.jpg

Gonna grab a red OE30 down the line, and install dog eared P-90s, and a trapeze tailpiece.

Archived