Is there a word or a phrase that you hate?

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

this phrase has I think a little known source (BTW it's break a leg, not brake)

It's an anti-bad luck thing. Performer is about to go on stage, someone says, "You'll do great!!". The performer, a superstitious type says, "Don't say that - you'll jinx me", so the well-wisher says, "OK, break a leg!".

And it caught on, but after a while the original meaning got left behind even 'tho the phrase is still used.

nat whilk ii

hummmmmmmm.....intresting, the way I heard it, and saw it in amovie, i'm sure they said break, making a motion with their hand as when you brake something.....:confused:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Don't go there!

:mad:

Twenty-four/Seven

:mad: :mad:

Touch base with...

and

Reach out to... instead of 'call' someone on the phone. I think the phrase reach out to is going to turn me into a tower killer.

Oh, and anyone who says whatever between now and the end of time should be skinned. Same with Fine. Anyone with a teenage daughter can relate.

• Members

"robust" in reference to software

"tactical" in military or police-speak

These words sound pretentious to me in these contexts, because their meaning is not 100% clear... They are words often thrown in to sound authoritative or important. They can mean just about anything.

• Members

No way could I ever get worked up over the grammatical errors people make when speaking, but I entirely dislike when people butcher typing posts for message boards and forums. They write and spell like they're instant messaging, but with environments like this the need for IM-style speed just isn't necessary (e.g. "u no eyneone dat nose were a studio iz").

It also drives me crazy when people KNOWINGLY mis-pronounce a word (see "skrimp"), or especially a name. My name is pretty damn easy, but people always get it wrong.

A phrase that I'm just short of hating is "if you say so". To me, it's the sister of "yeah, whatever". I worked with a lady who always said that and didn't see anything wrong with when she said it.

Her: Where's the closest WaWa?

Me: Straight down 401, on your right.

Her: If you say so.

Pissed me off everytime.

Peace

• Members

Words, phrases, abuse of language.......

When I read 'your' for 'you are' , and 'to much' for 'too much (or too anything)' constantly, I start to feel assault weapons do have a purpose for private citizens.....and what the hell is it with all the phonetic approximations that are cropping up in written American these days: 'I was aweigh for a while'...excuse me??

The word 'sucks' is horrible enough to have to listen to and read.

'Sux' just takes it to the next sub-basement of illiteracy.

Speaking of death: 'like, I totally died...' one can only hope...

And on the same note: 'Collateral Damage'...what, 'Dead Civilians' rubs you the wrong way?

'The procedure had a negative outcome'....uhhh, the patient died.

Someone referring to me and my wife as 'you guys'. Last I checked, she was still female.

African-American....I am a 'white' person, they are 'black' people.

Neither description has much to do with reality, but they have both been used for ages and A-A just feels fake and precious.

'Person of color' is even worse.

Why has 'really' become something of a catchphrase, as in something not being 'bad' but, inevitably, 'really bad.'?

Or a far worse mutant: 'ooh, that is so...not good.'

Personally, I don't live in a world where automatically anything of the slightest quality or value is either 'great' or 'fabulous', or (gaack) 'awesome'...sorry, 'AWWsome'.

There is a reason the english language has words like 'good' 'outstanding' and the like. Check them out.

Penultimate is the NEXT TO LAST, not the last....

The next time someone tells me he has 'a lot on his plate',

I'll tell him to eat up because children in Africa are starving.

Corporate mutations:

'Benchmarking' sounds like a dog urinating to mark territory. Which in its own appropriate way is not too far removed from the intended corporate meaning.

'Conceptualize'...$2000 consultant's word for outlining an idea.

'Scalable'....it can be expanded.

And finally, 'elitist'....a generic label slapped on someone when the accuser vaguely knows that the person is different from him, but he doesn't have the intellectual capacity to figure out what the differences are.

So,lik, ths blows, ya, cause if your tryin to xplain sumthin an dey don geddit, its youre own prob, wurd.

Farethewell for now,

CC.

• Members

Originally posted by Cosmic Closet

Words, phrases, abuse of language.......

When I read 'your' for 'you are' , and 'to much' for 'too much (or too anything)' constantly, I start to feel assault weapons do have a purpose for private citizens.....and what the hell is it with all the phonetic approximations that are cropping up in written American these days: 'I was aweigh for a while'...excuse me??

The word 'sucks' is horrible enough to have to listen to and read.

'Sux' just takes it to the next sub-basement of illiteracy.

Speaking of death: 'like, I totally died...' one can only hope...

And on the same note: 'Collateral Damage'...what, 'Dead Civilians' rubs you the wrong way?

'The procedure had a negative outcome'....uhhh, the patient died.

Someone referring to me and my wife as 'you guys'. Last I checked, she was still female.

African-American....I am a 'white' person, they are 'black' people.

Neither description has much to do with reality, but they have both been used for ages and A-A just feels fake and precious.

'Person of color' is even worse.

Why has 'really' become something of a catchphrase, as in something not being 'bad' but, inevitably, 'really bad.'?

Or a far worse mutant: 'ooh, that is so...not good.'

Personally, I don't live in a world where automatically anything of the slightest quality or value is either 'great' or 'fabulous', or (gaack) 'awesome'...sorry, 'AWWsome'.

There is a reason the english language has words like 'good' 'outstanding' and the like. Check them out.

Penultimate is the NEXT TO LAST, not the last....

The next time someone tells me he has 'a lot on his plate',

I'll tell him to eat up because children in Africa are starving.

Corporate mutations:

'Benchmarking' sounds like a dog urinating to mark territory. Which in its own appropriate way is not too far removed from the intended corporate meaning.

'Conceptualize'...$2000 consultant's word for outlining an idea.

'Scalable'....it can be expanded.

And finally, 'elitist'....a generic label slapped on someone when the accuser vaguely knows that the person is different from him, but he doesn't have the intellectual capacity to figure out what the differences are.

So,lik, ths blows, ya, cause if your tryin to xplain sumthin an dey don geddit, its youre own prob, wurd.

Farethewell for now,

CC.

:freak:

• Members

If you worked in my office, you'd hit "Postal" by the third day.

Most of the drama queens here utter the phrase, "Oh My God!" atleast 10 times a day each. One in particular even has set a new office record of 50 in one day, sometimes up to 3 in 1 sentence, and, if speaking of a topic no one really asked about and no really even cares about, can be incredibly animated to the point of my researching voodoo dolls...

Of course, imagine the various permutations of that phrase in various phonetically challlenged voices (particularly the drama queen/California Valley high school voice for emphasis) and you can imagine the level of dread I breach every day upon entering the office and being subjected to exaggerated stories at volumes that would wake Helen Keller...

ACK!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by cyberwolf

If you worked in my office, you'd hit "Postal" by the third day.

Most of the drama queens here utter the phrase, "Oh My God!" atleast 10 times a day each. One in particular even has set a new office record of 50 in one day, sometimes up to 3 in 1 sentence, and, if speaking of a topic no one really asked about and no really even cares about, can be incredibly animated to the point of my researching voodoo dolls...

Of course, imagine the various permutations of that phrase in various phonetically challlenged voices (particularly the drama queen/California Valley high school voice for emphasis) and you can imagine the level of dread I breach every day upon entering the office and being subjected to exaggerated stories at volumes that would wake Helen Keller...

ACK!!!!

oh mi gooood!:D

• Members

Originally posted by Mark G. Hinge

For some reason it buggs me when people use the letter "O" when meaning the number "0".

"O" is a LETTER, "ZERO" is a number.

It would be nice if developers would convert all font types to include the slash (/) through the zero when using number keys, while leaving the letter O in tact. In many font styles, the two characters are easily identified, but some fonts make it hard to distinguish which is which when using alpha-numeric combinations for passwords or code names.

• Members

Speaking of "O" and "0", it's even MORE annoying when people VERBALLY don't distinguish between the two, as in phone numbers... "one zero six five two eight seven" which is uttered "one OH six ...." You get the point. Goes beyond mere semantics, though it's a minor one/1. :-)

• Members

Originally posted by cyberwolf

Speaking of "O" and "0", it's even MORE annoying when people VERBALLY don't distinguish between the two, as in phone numbers... "one zero six five two eight seven" which is uttered "one OH six ...." You get the point. Goes beyond mere semantics, though it's a minor one/1. :-)

Yeah, I can't stand that, lol! I honestly only did it a few times myself, mainly because I was repeating a phone number that someone was reading or saying out to me.

And while I don't "hate" it, the older people in my area still give out five-digit phone numbers. For years and years, every number was 87-xxxxx, so they'd either use the letter designation TR or just the five numbers when giving you a phone number, assumming you knew what they were talking about. Some old stores still have TR-xxxxx on their signs. Again, I don't hate it, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Peace

• Members

Originally posted by mangojeep66

touch base with you

:mad:

I hate this one too, it's so presumptious!!! :mad:

At least buy me a drink first!! :D

I hate meaningless corporate speak (and I'm sure I'm in the worst company on the planet for it! Our CEO was interviewd on breakfast television about something or other once and they told him to start speaking plain English :thu: ). My main pet peeve at the moment is 'Rightshoring' meaning 'offshoring', the process of sending our jobs abroad where they can pay people a fraction of the money. We know that is the way the industry is going, we don't like it but we accept it. Trying to put a nice name on it tho is downright insulting :mad:

• Members

after 7 pages of this thread, i have come to the conclusion that i don't need to be so nitpicky to really give a {censored} what people say, whether a 0 is an O, if it's its or it's, if it's two to too, if it's their they're there, or whether it is I, or it's me...