Is there a word or a phrase that you hate?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by ViLo

Out of the blue!

Is "The Blue" a misterious place where all the surprises come from?
:rolleyes:

the idea is that the "blue" (ie the open sky) is a clear area (ie there isn't cloud cover, fog, etc) and you *should* be able to see it coming...that's what makes is surpising/shocking

"Holy Crap! It just materialized!"

as opposed to

"oh, there was this big cloud that I couldn't see {censored} through, so, yeah, it snuck up on me under cover"
the appearance itself may be unexpected, but the mechanism of the surprise isn't shocking

speaking of shocking -- alternatively and related (and probably originally)

the "BOLT out of the blue" -- well, that's lightning coming out of nowhere...no clouds...just clear sky

• Members

I hate the term "Surplus" when it's
used by anyone in the Federal Government.
For instance, we can have a Social Security
suplus, even while the program is going
broke, or a Federal Budget Surplus, even
when a third of our income tax is used to
pay interest on the "Deficit":(

Next on the hate list has to be
"Alternative Rock":mad:
Last time I was at a music convention,
90% of the people I talked to immediately
uttered the words Alternative Rock to
describe their music.

• Members
Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

well, i can honestly say, i don't like anything coming out of a politician's mouth, because it is obsolete before it leave his tongue, becomes a insult to intelligence while it travels the distance thru the air, and at arrival in my brain it's already a lie.

Politicians lie? :eek:

• Members

I just hate when the Guys and Gals on the Weather Channel use the phrase "As well" multiple times in a sentence.

"We're seeing clouds develop as well, and may have people drowning in the resulting flood as well."

I've counted as many as (6) "as wells" in a single weather report!

Summit111
As well...

• Members

Politicians lie?
:eek:

No, not lying, it's called diplomatic language, or speech at diplomatic corps banquet, or talking to the nation. Telling straight how thing are is counter productive in political and diplomatic parlance, to many agressive dolts who lead nations on this planet. But all that is of no concern for us able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value.

:D

• Members

Don't get me started on the news, sports and weather clowns. I was a journalism/lit major. Honestly, I don't know where THOSE people were educated, but they certainly didn't attend the same classes I did. Or they were absent a lot. What passes for news copy is a complete joke, from content to conveyance. $*^$

Oh and let's not leave out referring to one's self in third person. That's COMPLETELY obnoxious. Ex: Bob Dole speaking: "Bob Dole believes......... blah, blah, blah."

And, while I'm on a roll, if I never see the word 'famed' again (as in famed producer) or see the word 'penned' used as a substitute for 'wrote' (as in he penned the hit song) it will be a happy day. They are simply awful and unnecessary substitutes.

Well, I shall now return to penning another hit song for a famed singer, and producer as well. It's alternative rock... :) :) :)

• Members

Conductors that say "And" when they are giving the upbeat.

C'mon.

2 music degrees. Long resume. Passed through a tough audition process. But I can't tell for the life of me what "maestro" is trying to do with that stick thingy he's waving around. :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

The conductor must make it possible to eliminate himself in the music. If the orchestra feels him doing that, then everything will go well

:D LOL! Yes, I think there are quite a few players, around here anyway, that would be just delighted if the conductor eliminated himself. In the music or elsewhere. Doesn't matter. :)

• Members
Originally posted by coyote-1

The phrase I hate:

"Looks like ass". (pejorative) Also: "Tastes like ass" or whatever negative comparison you can imagine...

Simply a moronic saying.

To expound upon this:
Back in college, friends of mine were walking and saw this huge crater in the ground. One friend says, "that's a big-ass hole," to which we all replied, "asshole!" After that, anytime someone used ass to describe something (hard ass test, big ass hotdog, wierd ass show, etc) we would respond in kind (ass test, ass hotdog, ass show). People I hang around weren't there for the original, and it's now become habitual, and they don't get the joke. I need a 12 step program....

• Members

Another couple of things hit me while reading all of these: when people say "pitcher" when they mean "picture." Maybe it's a Chicago thing, but my family does it a lot and it drives me nuts! "Did you see that pitcher on the wall?" "Who was it? Randy Johnson?"

Also, and I only found this while living in Indiana, when people can't hear what you just said and they respond with, "Do what?" no matter the setting.

Me: What time is the show?
Them: Do what?
Me: Do tell me the time of the show, that's what!

Nails on the chalkboard to me!

• Members

my least favorite phrase is "mash-up". it's bad in so many ways. used strictly, it's fine. but the thing is that it's used for everything, all the time. and not even in a tongue-in-cheek way.

another one i don't like is "f-bomb". it's just used too often by too many people who don't consider the fact that it's a cutesy pun on "a-bomb" (or "h-bomb"). if you're the type that likes to use cutesy puns, that's fine. but it shouldn't be a common term.

one that cracks me up more than annoys me is, "and you won't believe . . ." as is used when introducing every single new story on shows like "inside edition". does it really make people more excited about the story? to hear it regarding every single story?

• Members

brake a leg!......... brake a leg? who am I? a WWF wrestler?
:rolleyes:

this phrase has I think a little known source (BTW it's break a leg, not brake)

It's an anti-bad luck thing. Performer is about to go on stage, someone says, "You'll do great!!". The performer, a superstitious type says, "Don't say that - you'll jinx me", so the well-wisher says, "OK, break a leg!".

And it caught on, but after a while the original meaning got left behind even 'tho the phrase is still used.

nat whilk ii