Is there a word or a phrase that you hate?

• Moderators
Originally posted by ViLo

I really hate this one and I don't know why!

Top producer [uSe very often in sales]
:mad:

Unless you're the "Top Producer" of course! :) Then it's a great little phrase... but to give you some insight as to what kind of a salesman I was... I hate that phrase too.:(

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

These are great! The one that makes me want to stomp bunnies is any reference to "the next level."

As in: We're looking for a pro drummer to take us to the next level.

Or: Looking for representation that will take us to the next level.

Or (my personal favorite): Our new CD is really going to take us to the next level.

WHAT IS THE NEXT LEVEL??? And why, for %(&($& sake is somebody or something else responsible for lifting that ever-so-deserving bunch of wanna-bes to (OMG do I have to say it??) that's right kids............ THE NEXT LEVEL.

Thank you for allowing me this 30 seconds to piss and moan. :)

• Members
Originally posted by SoulHitchHiker

These are great! The one that makes me want to stomp bunnies is any reference to "the next level."

As in: We're looking for a pro drummer to take us to the next level.

Or: Looking for representation that will take us to the next level.

Or (my personal favorite): Our new CD is really going to take us to the next level.

WHAT IS THE NEXT LEVEL??? And why, for %(&($& sake is somebody or something else responsible for lifting that ever-so-deserving bunch of wanna-bes to (OMG do I have to say it??) that's right kids............ THE NEXT LEVEL.

Thank you for allowing me this 30 seconds to piss and moan.
:)

Have you been there? I want to know how to get there! :D

• Members
Originally posted by SoulHitchHiker

:)
Oh, hell no. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what these folks are thinkin'! I haven't the foggiest.......... I guess it's all relative. As in, I used to pick up sh*t and now I drive the truck!

Hummmm...The Next Level, maybe is like the next floor in an apartment complex, exactly the same as the first level.......;)

• Members
"You done good!"

Hmm, let's see! How many grammatical rules can we break in a single sentence?

Alternately, you can express yourself the old-fashioned way by using proper English:

You did well!

You did (something that was) good!

It's good to see you doing so well!

You've done well!

You've done very well for yourself!

You've done good work/a good job/a good deed/etc.

You've made me very proud!

You're a big success!

Wow, you really DID it!

You did it! It was amazing! Everyone's talking about it, and I'm getting a woody!

• Members

Misuse of the word "so" drives me nuts. As in

I'm so drinking a cup of coffee right now
I'm so going to that party
I'm so getting a new car

There's even a conveniece store in my area that uses it in their advertisement -

"Our ATM's are so totally free" WTF?!? - I'll go somewhere else and pay an ATM fee if I have to instead of shopping at teenage-girl-mart.

• Members
Originally posted by Joe Cole

With ya on this one too.....

My bad.

When did this become grammatically acceptable?

My list:

"uhhhhh" (verbal stalling. you don't have anything to say, but you don't want me to interrupt you?)

"You know?" (trad. version of "know whut I'm sayin?" Another verbal stall, but the responsibility is somehow shifted to me and I am expected to imply agreement.)

Sadly, these two words make up 27% of my wife's vocabulary.

Oh, and don't forget "dubya."
That's a holdover from my days doing college radio. If you couldn't say "double-you" you sounded very unprofessional. Seems appropriate that such a hokism is applied to GWB, but it still bugs me.

• Members
Originally posted by Murphman

This is probably because I happened to be hanging around some wannabe hip-hop artists last night:

You know what I'm sayin'? As in, "We'll hit the studio and bust the tracks out, you know what I'm sayin', then fly to the west side, you know what I'm saying, to tear it up at my cousin's crib, you know what I'm sayin'..."

I work in a non-music setting with a hip-hop/rap producer. I swear, this guy CANNOT say one sentence without adding "Y'know what I'm sayin?" :confused::freak:

• Members

It's not the phrases so much as their lazy overuse I guess that makes so many of the phrases abominable over time. On the other hand, some phrases are so loaded with pretension or are so totally useless that they deserve the contempt they inspire:

"Deal with it" is a favorite of the self-righteous advice flinger

"Go with the flow" was for a very short while a pretty cool, new-agey sort of self-help seminar phrase. Overuse did this one in.

"That dog won't hunt" is a special one, spoken mainly by old-timers in Texas or the deep South USA and their imitators. Makes the speaker sound all "back-home" and full of folk wisdom. Means basically "it won't work" with a touch of contempt, as for a useless, lazy dog.

"A new paradigm" is one that was taken up by businesspeople after all the sweet was chewed out of it by the new-agey seminar people. Use this one and you are instantly dated - beware!

"What goes around comes around" should be said while nodding slowly and sucking your teeth, viewing the dead body on the ground or other scene of someone's disaster. There are a lot of slang phrases that mean basically "he got what was coming to him". Again a bit of self-rigtheousness, very popular.

"Upside potential" - ahhh, the business entrepenuer's pride and joy, this one. Should be said while nodding slowly and sucking your teeth, looking at a whiteboard diagram of some ridiculous new business idea. Makes the speaker sound wise and penetrating.

"What a hoot" I haven't been able to trace to the source but I think it's a recent movie or TV show. Untold numbers of phrases come from TV or movies - they're fun for a while but go quickly stale, but people just won't give up on them. My mother-in-law (nearing 80) still says with mock round eyes, "Oh my goodness!"
as if everyone remembers it's from a 1950s Shirley Temple movie. Move on, Granny!

"We're looking into that" is a favorite phrase used to divert an unpleasant inquiry. Makes the questioner feel like, "Oh, okay, they seem to be sensitive to the issue so I don't need to pursue the question just right now". CEOs and politicians love this one.

that's it for now, "Catch you on the upside"!!:D

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

On paper

or

In theory

As a means to describe how things might work and how they actually will work. It's such a silly, overused expression around my work place that when I'm working with a band recording / producing, we usually say either as a joke when getting ready to try someone's idea.

"OK... so if we double that guitar line with a B3 playing parallel 3 note chord harmony it'll give it some of that 'AWB

• Members

"i'd like to thank the academy..."

just about every freeekin hip hop phrase in existance!

"whatever" said in a stuck up valley girl voice...

also, most that you guys have already mentioned... but, i really enjoy being on the job and using every single stupid phrase i can, all day long... but, this is just to drive everyone crazy!

oh yea... "wuddup dog"