Is there a word or a phrase that you hate?

• Members
Originally posted by veracohr

"I could care less."

I hate it, because people really mean "I
couldn't
care less."

I also get irritated at the word
bizarre
, and I don't even know why.

"I could care less" bugs me too.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good thread - I have a few office phrases I hate such as:

In the pipeline

Close the loop

Dropped the ball

Outside the box

Hit a homerun/knocked it our of the park

etc.

I've overheard coworkers having conversations in which nobody said anything but these kind of catch phrases - WTF? Have we forgotten how to formulate our own sentences? For Example:

"We had Joe in the pipeline to help with that because last time he stepped up to the plate on a similar project he really knocked it out of the park. But because Steve dropped the ball on his Jenkins account, Joe had to close the loop by thinking outside the box.

• Members

I just walk away when phrases like those come to my ear...

You talk to me. Not now. I'm with you in a moment. This war is common sense. Believe me. That's impossible. You wanna get killed. I can hear you. Illegal people. Heil Hitler. You want me to give you a blowjob. Can you make a living with that. This war is a war to end war.

Some of the dumbest: You're absolutley right. That's the truth.

That one is a highlight in dumbness: I believe you.

• Members
Originally posted by 2manband

Good thread - I have a few office phrases I hate such as:

In the pipeline

Close the loop

Dropped the ball

Outside the box

Hit a homerun/knocked it our of the park

etc.

I've overheard coworkers having conversations in which nobody said anything but these kind of catch phrases - WTF? Have we forgotten how to formulate our own sentences? For Example:

"We had Joe in the pipeline to help with that because last time he stepped up to the plate on a similar project he really knocked it out of the park. But because Steve dropped the ball on his Jenkins account, Joe had to close the loop by thinking outside the box.

+100000

Basically, all office/business phrases that equate business with sports are irksome. THE WORSE.

more:

get the ball rolling
touch base with you

:mad:

• Members

This is probably because I happened to be hanging around some wannabe hip-hop artists last night:

A'ight = alright, without the 'l' or 'r'
You know what I'm sayin'? As in, "We'll hit the studio and bust the tracks out, you know what I'm sayin', then fly to the west side, you know what I'm saying, to tear it up at my cousin's crib, you know what I'm sayin'..."

This particular morning the word happened to be "daddy." As in: "Daddy, daddy, daaaaaddy, daddy, dad, dad......... daaaaaaaddddyyy!!!!!" Again, ad nauseum.
Come to think of it, anything said in close repetition 1,000 times or so can be pretty annoying! :D

• Moderators

Scaleable (when said by boss)

That means I have to make whatever I'm working on have the ability to be done on a mass scale... even before we know if we'll need that.

Metrics (when said by boss)

That means we'll need numbers along with your work.

• Moderators
Originally posted by ViLo

my former boss.

empowerment os the key

you are empowered,Make your own decisions [but ask me first]
:confused::rolleyes:

Yes, make your own decisions but ask me first. That way, it it goes bad you're to blame. If it goes well, I get the credit. That's Empowerment!

• Members
Originally posted by Lee Knight

Yes, make your own decisions but ask me first. That way, it it goes bad you're to blame. If it goes well, I get the credit.
That's
Empowerment!

IN the voice of Bugs Bunny: Bastids!:mad: