Ozzy Osbourne Shot in the Dark -why am i having such a hard time copying this song?

• Members

Ive never had such a hard time trying to copy what sounds like a fairly easy song. Ive seen alot of people play it on youtube but every one of them play it wrong, or atleast they arent playing it the way Jake E. Lee plays it. I saw him play it once but cant remember exactly how its done. Anyone know for sure? What tuning is it? Damn :freak:

• Members

Jake's a killer guitarist. I like him with Ozzy much more than Zakk. Too bad it was during Ozzy's Liz Taylor years and that horrible Ultimate Sin record. Bark at the Moon has 2 of my favorite leads in it....great stuff.

Ouch! That album is in my top 3 favorite Ozzy list! Killer of Giants and Shot in the Dark were awesome....IMO. :D

• Members

As far as Ozzy's songwriting goes, "Ultimate Sin" is probably my favorite albom. I am not a big fan of Jake E Lee's tone though. I'd like to hear that album re-recorded with Zakk. He did "Shot In The Dark" on the live record and it was totally kick-ass!

• Members

I don't mind Jake's tone, and I sure think he smokes the hell out of Zakk both in chops and creativity.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. :) Zakk's chops are awesome. He plays Jake's version of "Shot In The Dark" note for note and then adds his own solo at the end which is a lot faster and more technical than the original. I am not too familiar with Jake's stuff outside of Ozzy but I haven't heard anything by him even close to what Zakk Wylde can play.

• Members

Jake E. Lee is not using standard tuning for that song. I know that he usually tuned down a half step, but I believe he tuned the 5th string up to a Bb.

There may be more to it, but the alternate tuning (whatever it is) probably has a lot to do with why it doesn't sound right.

• Members

Jake's a killer guitarist. I like him with Ozzy much more than Zakk. Too bad it was during Ozzy's Liz Taylor years and that horrible Ultimate Sin record. Bark at the Moon has 2 of my favorite leads in it....great stuff.

Yeah coz Ultimate Sin was sooo much worse than Down To Earth or Black Rain, or... :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't mind Jake's tone, and I sure think he smokes the hell out of Zakk both in chops and creativity.

I agree with this statement. As Zakk the past few years hasnt even come close too the creative guitaring Jake showed and actually isnt even as good as Zakk of Book of Shadows Days either IMO.

And the Ultimate Sin is one of Ozzys and Jakes best produced albums.

I think Jake is a half step down on Shot in the Dark Ill check when I get home.

• Members

I think Jake is a half step down on Shot in the Dark Ill check when I get home.

You may have missed my comment earlier, where I stated that he's not playing that song in standard tuning. There's more to it than just tuning down half a step.

I do agree that The Ultimate Sin is easily one of Ozzy's best.

• Members

As far as Ozzy's songwriting goes, "Ultimate Sin" is probably my favorite albom. I am not a big fan of Jake E Lee's tone though. I'd like to hear that album re-recorded with Zakk. He did "Shot In The Dark" on the live record and it was totally kick-ass!

:rolleyes:

• Members

Tuned down half a step. Nothing more, nothing less. The chords Jake uses are probably what's giving you trouble. Also, add in the fact that the guitars on that album are layered heavily with reverb and who knows what else. Makes it hard to decipher what's going on.

Killer song and guitarist. One of my favorites :cool:

• Members

Tuned down half a step. Nothing more, nothing less. The chords Jake uses are probably what's giving you trouble. Also, add in the fact that the guitars on that album are layered heavily with reverb and who knows what else. Makes it hard to decipher what's going on.

Killer song and guitarist. One of my favorites
:cool:

No, I'm pretty sure its alternate tuning. He uses standard Eb throughout the rest of the album for the most part though.

• Members

Thats funny, i always thought the exact opposite. I always hated Zakk's tone and thought his style on Shot In The Dark was weak. I guess its not bad, i just dont like it as good as Jake. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

I do think Jake easily smokes Zakk though.

• Members

Thats funny, i always thought the exact opposite. I always hated Zakk's tone and thought his style on Shot In The Dark was weak. I guess its not bad, i just dont like it as good as Jake. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

I do think Jake easily smokes Zakk though.

Well, to each their own. :) To me "No More Tears" and "Perry Mason" are the two songs with the examples of what the metal guitar tone should be. Although I don't know what was f*cked up on "Black Rain" - mixing or mastering - but the record itself sounds awful and guitars are just attrocious. Blech! I do believe it's the sound engineer/producer's fault, not Zakk's.

• Members

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Ultimate Sin is a decent album!!!!
:mad:

No matter what Ozzy says about it.

Obviously he disagrees since he let it go out of print on purpose because he hated it

The only reason that it's out of print is because Sharron wasn't able to buy off Phil Soussan's(sp?) portion of the songwriting credit. Way to stick it to her Phil! :phil:

• Members

No, I'm pretty sure its alternate tuning. He uses standard Eb throughout the rest of the album for the most part though.

Sorry dude but he's tuned to Eb standard. Always has been on that song. The only song on Ultimate Sin with a different tuning is Ultimate Sin which is dropped Db like on Van Halen's Unchained

Archived