Fender DRRI vs. Orange Rocker 30

Puckman

• Members

Help me choose my next amp.

I have played and completely fallen in love with the DRRI. I love the cleans, I love how it takes pedals, and it's all around a great amp.

I have not been able to find a Rocker 30 to try out, but the specs on it are very nice, and sample clips and youtube clips of it sound very nice too.

Let me hear some comparisons, some pros and cons, etc.

• Members

I knew you'd be piping in (Zepfan), since you've followed my fickle amp quest lately :)

To be honest (and this might help with clarifying what I'm looking for), I've outgrown the "effects" phase (at least for now) and the multi-gizmo-multi-channel approach. I am in a back to basics mode, where I can see myself running a guitar straight through an amp, and/or using a dirt box (like the Barber Direct Drive I just got) and using that as a basis for molding any tone.

As I said, I have not played the Orange, but I have played the DRRI, and I have seen it played in front of me, with teles, strats, LPs through a very simple setup, and found that it can do pretty much anything very very well.

• Members

I have a DRRI can beat it for cleans, BUT...........

I had to take it back to the shop for repairs after 3 month cos it developed a really bad squeal,and really how much reverb do you need? I think I should have bought an amp with a gain channel instead, but thats just me, as I say they are a great amp.

• Members

I knew you'd be piping in (Zepfan), since you've followed my fickle amp quest lately
:)

To be honest (and this might help with clarifying what I'm looking for), I've outgrown the "effects" phase (at least for now) and the multi-gizmo-multi-channel approach. I am in a back to basics mode, where I can see myself running a guitar straight through an amp, and/or using a dirt box (like the Barber Direct Drive I just got) and using that as a basis for molding any tone.

As I said, I have not played the Orange, but I have played the DRRI, and I have seen it played in front of me, with teles, strats, LPs through a very simple setup, and found that it can do pretty much anything very very well.

Im with you on the back to basics thing. Tell me why I need 30+ knobs :freak:

Unless you can find an Orange to play I will say buy from some where with a very loose return policy or buy the DRRI.

• Members

Let me also throw in there that I currently play a Peavey Classic 30, 30W 2-channel. If that helps put the Orange in perspective. (They have roughly similar specs, except for the power tubes, I think).

What dont you like about the classic 30? Why are you looking to replace it?

• Members

What dont you like about the classic 30? Why are you looking to replace it?

I didn't say I was looking to replace it :)

The Classic 30 is a great amp. I like it just fine. I'm just interested in diversifying a bit, or "upgrading" to my one ultimate amp.

As I said in another thread, I played a DRRI over the weekend and totally fell in love to the point where I can see myself sticking to that one amp exclusively for all my needs.

I've always been interested in the rocker 30, but since I've never played one, I wanna hear how that would compare to the DRRI. Ultimately, i'll have to play one myself, obviously to decide if that is the ultimate amp or not for me.

• Members

Oh you poor demented soul. LOL. Try a Traynor. Just to make your choices harder. Have you ever listened to one? I am still waiting on mine, and the wait is getting harder each day. But I hear the cleans on Traynors are really good, but their overdrive is usually superior so imo your getting the best of both worlds. Just one more amp to make it more confusing. I don't have an Orange dealer close by, which is probably a good thing...

I would give Vox a close second look though if I don't like the Traynor. Maybe an AC15 or the AC30.

• Members

not having played through one, my opinion may not matter. but, i just built a PTP wired big brother to the DR, a vibrolux reverb, and i am falling in love. i haven't played it much cause i got to work some little issues out, but the thing rocks. super sparkly fender clean. the barber you mentioned is my new found pedal for just about anything i play, and it works great with the amp. but, i may just have to run a stereo setup with my other DIY head...

• Members

Puck,

I have the Rocker 30, and had a DRRI for a year and a half (I sold it recently to the other guitar player in my band)

The Orange is very versatile and does clean to very overdriven well IMO. The Fender is great for cleans, but I personally did not care for the dirty sound, and I wasnt thrilled with the way an OD pedal made it sound either. Its a great amp, mind you, just that I think it does clean extremely well and thats kind of it for me.

I'd take the orange if I had to choose no question about it.

AJC

• Members

Hey Puckman...

Tough choice. The DRRI excels at cleans, the Orange better at gain. DRRI is a 6V6 tube amp, the Rocker 30 EL34. It's like apples and well, oranges;)

I love the DRRI, as you know i have a blonde one. I like the Orange.

I've always gone on the premise of having a great clean base sound, and then add your dirt. Now, a DRRI has gorgeous cleans, and when cranked is a beautiful, raw, open sound rockin sound. Put a Les Paul or Tele through a cranked DRRI and you'll wet your pants;) Can't always do that though. So adding a pedal, like a Direct Drive would be a great option. Just my $.02, YMMV:)

• Members

Hey Puckman...

Tough choice. The DRRI excels at cleans, the Orange better at gain. DRRI is a 6V6 tube amp, the Rocker 30 EL34. It's like apples and well, oranges;)

I love the DRRI, as you know i have a blonde one. I like the Orange.

I've always gone on the premise of having a great clean base sound, and then add your dirt. Now, a DRRI has gorgeous cleans, and when cranked is a beautiful, raw, open sound rockin sound. Put a Les Paul or Tele through a cranked DRRI and you'll wet your pants;) Can't always do that though. So adding a pedal, like a Direct Drive would be a great option. Just my $.02, YMMV:)

I have a DRRI which is lovely. I am not personally familiar with Orange amps but, looking at the specs and prices, your choice seems to be apples vs. Oranges, literally. I think it would be a more fair comparison, power- and price-wise, to compare the Orange with a Fender Super Reverb, in which case I would go with the Super in a heartbeat - but that is just me.

• Members

Puck,

I have the Rocker 30, and had a DRRI for a year and a half (I sold it recently to the other guitar player in my band)

The Orange is very versatile and does clean to very overdriven well IMO. The Fender is great for cleans, but I personally did not care for the dirty sound, and I wasnt thrilled with the way an ID pedal made it sound either. Its a great amp, mind you, just that I think it does clean extremely well and thats kind of it for me.

I'd take the orange if I had to choose no question about it.

AJC

Interesting. That's the kind of "comparison" i was looking for. I put comparison between quotes, because I do realize the 2 amps are totally different animals, pricewise, spec wise, etc. It's more that they both interest me, and I am looking to get general opinions about what can or can't be done with them.

To everyone else who keeps saying "Apples and Oranges", I really do understand that they are 2 almost unrelated amps. It's just a matter of both of them competing for my top GAS spot at the moment.

• Members

I've always gone on the premise of having a great clean base sound, and then add your dirt.

That is kind of what I'm angling for these days. As I explained elsewhere, I got a bit over the "multi-channel, multi-gizmo" approach. I love the simplicity of gorgeous cleans, and I recently got the Barber Direct Drive pedal and love how it sounds, so I figure that would be my approach.

Now, a DRRI has gorgeous cleans, and when cranked is a beautiful, raw, open sound rockin sound. Put a Les Paul or Tele through a cranked DRRI and you'll wet your pants;) Can't always do that though. So adding a pedal, like a Direct Drive would be a great option. Just my $.02, YMMV:)

Yes. I have heard the DRRI and I have played it, and I have felt exactly the way you describe. I guess I'm wondering if the Orange comes anywhere close with those cleans (among other things).

I won't know first hand until I play one.

Archived