Using a North American wired amp in UK...

Ravelleman

• Members

uk voltage appliances in europe is not problem, quoted voltage is +/- 10%, so theres a fair range of crossover there anyway...

mercury magnetics make excellent transformers, putting one of those in the amp won't just make it playable over here, its an upgrade in its own right, like replacing speakers...

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I,m beginning to think..Oh bad idea.That theres a difference of opinion.Some guy said he ran his Bognor with a step down 240 -110 at 500va and that worked perfectly.Replacing a transformer in yr amp.well what you want is to know what the amp circuit voltage is .So it goes from like 110 to ?

or from 240v to ?..

HOW MUCH IS THE AXIOM?

I,m gonna test my yellow 110v 2.25kva building site transformer.I know one at work tested at 116v plug it in to my mesa and if this Bastard over heats after 30 mins right i,ll be very surprised.

Did i say it was a bad idea.:poke:

• Members

As I GI living overseas I used step down transformers for everything I owned.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a step down transformer with a guitar amp. In fact, I did it for years with a Fender Dual Showman.

If it overheats it is not near large enough. Most of mine weighed over 20 lbs if not a LOT more.

Try to find one used. Around a US military base they are MUCH cheaper than new at about 1/4 of new.

I would get the amp you want, and take it to a tech to see if it has 220 taps on the transformer that is already in it, first though.

I can't believe you are prepared to pay the shipping on an amp though. That's gonna have to be $200 or more!

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 6/20/2005 at 10:51 PM, VanR said:

You need a step down transformer to step the 220/240V down to 110/120V.

EDIT: The UK is 50 cycles rather than 60 cycles but that shouldn't pose a problem.

What's kinda funny about this is that the US electrical system is also 220/240, but it's carried on three wires - one ground and two hot. And when you run one hot and one ground to an appliance, you are at 110/120 volts. And that is done in the breaker box. If you run both hot to an appliance, it is 220/240 volts.

image.png.cff1b8b91573141ad010013c611d0e58.png

• Members
5 hours ago, GarethHoo said:

Hi

I've accidentally plugged an US amplifier straight into a UK power supply. It powered on for about 2 seconds then died. I then realised what had happened.

Is this repairable?

Thanks,

I'm thinking it is fried. It is interesting that you were able to do that, though.

• Moderators

is this a solid state or tube amp?

odds are you may have damaged the power transformer, because the fuse likely did not blow because the amperage was low enough. Transformers are not hard to replace, if you know what you are doing; however, they are pricey. But the cost of replacing the transformer is likely less that replacing the amp. A qualified tech can make the conversion for you fairly simply...

Archived