Using a North American wired amp in UK...

Ravelleman

• Members

I'm amp hunting at the moment and was all set to bid on a Hot Rod Deville (wired for North American voltage) on ebay when I realised that it wouldn't be compatible for use in Ireland (same system as UK).

So, to use an amp I buy from the US, will I just have to get a US to UK transformer or is there more to it than that? If so, can somebody please point in the right direction to get one on ebay as I really have no idea what to get.

Thanks

Richard

• Members

You'll need something like this. A 500 VA model would be the minimum since that amp is fused for 3.0A.

http://hammondmanufacturing.com/172.htm

Originally posted by Ravelleman

I'm amp hunting at the moment and was all set to bid on a Hot Rod Deville (wired for North American voltage) on ebay when I realised that it wouldn't be compatible for use in Ireland (same system as UK).

So, to use an amp I buy from the US, will I just have to get a US to UK transformer or is there more to it than that? If so, can somebody please point in the right direction to get one on ebay as I really have no idea what to get.

Thanks

Richard

• Members

I've run us amps in the uk before using step down transformers and they really aren't suitable! For short periods of playing fine, but for anything over 30 minutes or so, I've found that even the most expensive step-down box costing in excess of

• Members

i'm not ffamiliar with this amp, you may be able to re-tap the internal transformer to accept the new voltage, if not, the best thing is to change the internal tranformer. if you're not sure about this a decent tech can do it, but this will kill any saving you make on the amp...

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

I'd always assumed that - like computers, and all other elctrical equipment I've encountered, you could just use one of those plug adaptors.... not the case?

You can't just plug a PC designed to run on 110v into a 230v socket with a plug adaptor. At the very least you'd need a step-down transformer. That said, most PCs have switchable power supplies, so you just flick the little toggle to whatever the supply voltage is.

Same is true for almost all electrical goods. Anything with a motor won't run properly (or will burn out) on the wrong supply voltage; anything electronic will probably be the same unless it has a multi-standard power supply built in.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

You can't just plug a PC designed to run on 110v into a 230v socket with a plug adaptor. At the very least you'd need a step-down transformer. That said, most PCs have switchable power supplies, so you just flick the little toggle to whatever the supply voltage is.

Same is true for almost all electrical goods. Anything with a motor won't run properly (or will burn out) on the wrong supply voltage; anything electronic will probably be the same unless it has a multi-standard power supply built in.

I got a UK spec Laney LC30II amp rated for 240V supply, i wonder if it will work in continental Europe with a different powerchord.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

I got a UK spec Laney LC30II amp rated for 240V supply, i wonder if it will work in continental Europe with a different powerchord.

It should. Continental Europe is on 220/230v, we're on 240/230, which shouldn't be enough of a difference to hurt anything. I'd check with an amp tech to be sure, but I think it should be ok.

• Members

Well as long as UK customers pay the "suckers" price on some equipment, shops/distributors will OVERoverOVERovercharge....

We must do something about it...

I personally boycott US made amps (i like them a LOT but their prices are a joke).

I wish i could do the same for guitars and pedals...

• Members

I personally boycott US made amps (i like them a LOT but their prices are a joke).

I wish i could do the same for guitars and pedals...

There are quite a few good UK guitar makers if you're looking at the mid to high end of the market -

• Members

Someone on the amp forum recommended that I try using a Mercury Magnetics Axiom Transformer instead of using a step transformer. Basically it will involve opening up the amp and replacing the transformer inside with the Axiom. I'd have to take it to a tech though. Does anyone have any experience with these?

• Members

Basically i got 700GBP and i want a strat...a MIA std HSS, any better UK alternatives at the same price range?

There are dozens of small independent builders, many of whom operate around that sort of price point.

www.arrowheadguitars.co.uk are good and excellent value (did me a baritone neck and are building me a guitar now).

www.baileyguitars.co.uk are apparently very affordable.

Be worth asking them at least. If you want a Strat, though, why not just buy a MIJ model - made as well as the MIAs and much cheaper...

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

OK, gotcha! :)

• Members

Gordon smith rocks as far as i hear.

Basically i got 700GBP and i want a strat...a MIA std HSS, any better UK alternatives at the same price range?

www.gordonsmithguitar.com - look at the "classic S" model.

www.brandoniguitars.co.uk do good stuff too, and would be able to build what you're after.

I've heard that the newer Trev Wilkinson designed Westones are well worth picking up - something along the lines of what you want would be about

Archived