Sign in to follow this  
ManAndDjinn

'72 Fender Thinline Telecaster (original)

My dad passed down his to me not too long ago and I was wonder how much these bad boys go for nowadays? I'm not going to sell, but I'm just interested in their worth.

My dad passed down his to me not too long ago and I was wonder how much these bad boys go for nowadays? I'm not going to sell, but I'm just interested in their worth.

I'll send you 100 dollars right now...PM me..:thu:

Ebay prices vary but there is a near mint one on ebay currently at $3000.

If its near mint I'd guess in that ballpark but think over $3500 would be a stretch. If it's a bit rough maybe as low as $1500.

There are too many variables such as paint, fretwear, overall condition, case, original parts, etc to accurately just guess a reliable figure.

As always, asking price means nothing. Sold prices is what you must rely upon.

Ebay prices vary but there is a near mint one on ebay currently at $3000.

If its near mint I'd guess in that ballpark but think over $3500 would be a stretch. If it's a bit rough maybe as low as $1500.

There are too many variables such as paint, fretwear, overall condition, case, original parts, etc to accurately just guess a reliable figure.

As always, asking price means nothing. Sold prices is what you must rely upon.

mint condition or poor condition...I'd be forever grateful if my old man handed something like that down to me...good man!! :)

mint condition or poor condition...I'd be forever grateful if my old man handed something like that down to me...good man!!
:)

It's in great condition aside from a bump from when one of his friends from college threw a beer to him when he was playing and hit the guitar.

mint condition or poor condition...I'd be forever grateful if my old man handed something like that down to me...good man!!
:)

If my dad leaves me anything worth money I'd be happy but an old guitar would be something I'd probably never sell. Unless it was worth like $100,000 and I thought my dad would have me put my daughter through college with it or something.

My dad gave me a pack of smokes for christmas, and then he burned holes in my arm with a cigar.

Oh wait.............. that was Breakfast Club..............not me.

It's in great condition aside from a bump from when one of his friends from college threw a beer to him when he was playing and hit the guitar.

Wow...that's just a 'cool' ding...that guitar is virtually priceless!!! :eek:

Nothing personal, but I'm pretty sure I hate you.:mad:

The lack of the stock pickups really hurts its value. I would recommend trying to find some originals to put back in on ebay or elsewhere. Just make sure you track down some real ones and not those swapped out of a 72 Thinline Reissue. Gruhn Guitars and Umanov Guitars might be good places to check out.

Still sweet-assed guitar. I'm quite jealous...you know, you're dad has always been like a father to me...:D

Upon further inspection the neck pickup looks like it's stock, but doesn't have the stock chrome cover. The bridge pickup might be the same, but I'm not sure if the bobbins were/are black. That looks so clean though. It almost looks like a new reissue...the condition is awesome. Seriously, your father is like the dad I always wanted (outside of the dad I have of course).

The lack of the stock pickups really hurts its value. I would recommend trying to find some originals to put back in on ebay or elsewhere. Just make sure you track down some real ones and not those swapped out of a 72 Thinline Reissue. Gruhn Guitars and Umanov Guitars might be good places to check out.

Still sweet-assed guitar. I'm quite jealous...you know, you're dad has always been like a father to me...
:D

Upon further inspection the neck pickup looks like it's stock, but doesn't have the stock chrome cover. The bridge pickup might be the same, but I'm not sure if the bobbins were/are black. That looks so clean though. It almost looks like a new reissue...the condition is awesome. Seriously, your father is like the dad I always wanted (outside of the dad I have of course).

From my knowledge, those are stock pick ups. He did get some wiring redone a few years back, but I don't remember him changing out the pick up.

Those are not stock, they are aftermarket. And that will hurt value a ton and more so than say a big ding in the body. Luckily you aren't selling.

A single coil 72 tele bridge pickup just sold for $500 if that tells you anything.

Are you sure you're talking about the Thinline? Thinlines never had single coils; they were made with humbuckers.

that was for reference. those humbuckers are sought after more so than the single coils, and probably will reach gibson PAF territory if clean. i would try to find the right pickups for that guitar for a reasonable price (