Washburn Idol VCC / Pickup questions

mmkco

• Members

Ok,

Thanks guys for talking me into keeping my Idol! I do love this guitar, but I hate the VCC and would like to 86 it totally. Has anyone disabled the VCC system and been pleased with the stock Pickups? I have the WI-66V that does not have Duncans in it. I think I could do better than the stock Pick ups, but right now the budget is not really there so I'm hoping that If I can just rewire it maybe I will be happy with the results? Anyone had any luck with this? If so, do I just use a wiring diagram for a LP? Would I need to replace POTS Etc? Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm also open to future pickup suggestions. I play through a Classic 30 and Valve Junior. Like good saturated, thick, crunchy Tones ala Warren Haynes, Black Crowes etc.,

Thanks!!

Mike

• Members

I pulled the VCC out if my WI66 Pro - I really prefer having a tone knob.

The pots for the VCC are not standard like tone pots, so they have to be replaced. You're also going to need some tone caps. I would just replace all four pots with something higher quality (keep in mind if you use CTS pots, you'll have to enlarge the holes for the shafts). Standard Gibson/LP wiring works fine

Can't comment on your stock pickups, as mine has duncans

• Members

I pulled the VCC out if my WI66 Pro - I really prefer having a tone knob.

The pots for the VCC are not standard like tone pots, so they have to be replaced. You're also going to need some tone caps. I would just replace all four pots with something higher quality (keep in mind if you use CTS pots, you'll have to enlarge the holes for the shafts). Standard Gibson/LP wiring works fine

Can't comment on your stock pickups, as mine has duncans

Thanks for the response! No problem with the hole enlarging. I'll give the new pots a try(GFS, here come again). I also want to do the Treble bleed thing so I can turn down the Volume and not lose the high-end. Just out of curiosity, what Duncans do you have in yours and what do you think about them?

Mike

• Members

Thanks again! That's good information on the Duncans. I do want a 59 in the neck eventually, but I'm still not sure what to put in the bridge, so the "Polls are still open!" I really appreciate your input.

Mike

• 12 years later...

Archived