Damn Tele ferrules!!!

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

If they just pushed in easily, they'd probably fall out just as easily.

I haven't done a ton of those kinds of installations myself, but the ones I have done required me gently tapping them in with a rubber or plastic hammer (to protect the finish). If you don't have one of those, I got by once with a regular carpenters hammer by putting several layers of masking tape on the face of the hammer.

Just be careful, and don't hit them too hard, and they should go right in and sit nice and tight. :thu:

• Members

I seen many that just dropped in, and out just as easily. A Drop of wood glue will hold them and yet let you be able to remove them.

If they are snug thats fine, but don't try to bang them in if they are TOO TIGHT. Also if you don't have a wood or rubber Hammer. Place a piece of wood over the Ferrule and bang them in that way . Popsicle stick, anything like that.

Be caerefull your not tryin to make something fit, that is just going to crack the body wood? That will definatly be a issue you won't want to deal with.

Sand the holes evenly around till you could push them in my hand. Thats what i would do. Dremel, or by hand. drill with a wood sanding bit?

• Members

Just about every time I have built a tele (and I have done a dozen or so) you need to hit those suckers with a plastic or rubber hammer pretty hard. If ya hit em straight, you won't damage any finish or anything.

• Members

Sand the holes evenly around till you could push them in my hand. Thats what i would do. Dremel, or by hand. drill with a wood sanding bit?

I used a Dremel with a very fine grinding bit at high speed on my Warmoth body, just taking off a very very small amount of material at once pass. I used the grinding bits because the sanding bits were too abrasive, and made it a little iffy to control. It took a couple minutes per hole, but the ferrules fit perfectly. Very snug, but didn't damage the guitar.

• Moderators

The best tip I've used is from the Warmoth site.

Align the ferrule as best you can,then stick a soldering iron in the backside...
:eek:
The heat transfer will soften the finish enough to just push it in.Worked great/perfect for me,& I've got {censored} for skills...

For this tip Rand-O deserves sucking off by Kristin Scott-Thomas:wave:

Archived