Strat neck profiles

mrbrown49

• Members

I have read a bit, but I am still confused on this.

Could strat owners please relate the technical aspects of fenders different neck profiles, and which ones you favor?

I like fatter necks, but I am having trouble with my limited knowledge on the subject tracking down a strat that truely feels like home in my hands.

Thanks!

• Members

Although this answer might be (as usual) unsatisfying, the only way to get an answer which will help you is to test Strats with different neck profiles by yourself. It is not only a technical question or a question of dimensions that makes you feel comfortable while playing a certain guitar / neck.

I personally hate those fat V-style or C-style necks. My Strat Plus was the first Strat which suits me. It has a thin C-style neck or is it already a D-style one? I don't know, but as I wrote before it is mainly a matter of personal feeling.

• Members

Although this answer might be (as usual) unsatisfying, the only way to get an answer which will help you is to test Strats with different neck profiles by yourself. It is not only a technical question or a question of dimensions that makes you feel comfortable while playing a certain guitar / neck.

I personally hate those fat V-style or C-style necks. My Strat Plus was the first Strat which suits me. It has a thin C-style neck or is it already a D-style one? I don't know, but as I wrote before it is mainly a matter of personal feeling.

I realise that, but i have no idea what the C, V or D mean?

• Members

Thanks that chart is very helpful. I want to build a tele that has the same (or close to it) neck as my '72 thinline reissue. The specs from Fender call it a U shape with a 7.25" radius. Does anyone know how the radius is determined? I'm new here - these boards are great.

• Members

Thanks that chart is very helpful. I want to build a tele that has the same (or close to it) neck as my '72 thinline reissue. The specs from Fender call it a U shape with a 7.25" radius. Does anyone know how the radius is determined? I'm new here - these boards are great.

Picture a circle with the same curvature as the fretboard. The radius of that circle is the radius of the fretboard.

Archived